Pay-Per-Click ads or SEO? Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by youngkia1, Mar 30, 2010.

1. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, I just need some advice here, Honestly I'm not that familiar with different advertising methods or tools in the internet. That's the reason why i joined this forum, to broaden my knowledge with this.

Anyway, I have a friend who wants to use Pay-Per-Click ads, but he is also told about SEO by another friend of mine. He want to grow his business in car, same with me. But he's not decided yet which he will be using between PPC or SEO. If you will be ask, what do you prefer? What method he can benefit more and increase the popularity of his website. Any reply is highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting question youngkia1, the answer will depend on your friend's personal preferences and on the time-scales involved. SEO can take some time before it yields results, hence if your friend needs quick results, PPC could be the way to go.

A combination approach could also work well. This could involve selecting keywords, using PPC for those keywords and then start working on SEO. Once good organic search engine listings have been achieved for a particular keyword, your friend could then stop the PPC ads for that term.

One great advantage of PPC is the excellent reporting features that most campaigns provide. You can get a lot of valuable information, from tracking exactly which ads are working and bringing conversions. On the other side of the coin you can also find out what is not working or yielding results.

My personal preference is for SEO. I can work on SEO myself, with the main cost being my own time and I'm happy to let my sites build over time. Another benefit of SEO is that it brings you organic listings. Most people searching the web are more likely to click the organic listings than the sponsored ones.

3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I've said I prefer SEO too but I was watching someone building really cheap PPC campaigns for Yahoo and Microsoft (BING) yesterday. They targeted keywords in a really smart and interesting way to ensure they were building targeted traffic for the purpose of building a quality list to sell to.

It was interesting and I will be giving it a go. (so I'll post back about my experieces when done!) In most niches about 80% of people won't click on sponsored ads.

However I have had a bit of a rethink of my strategy (well just now whilst writing this actually) if I am trying to target motivated buyers then maybe I want the sponsored ad clickers not everybody else.

Even with PPC though I would be doing SEO because a top organic and a PPC is gonna ensure your entire searching market finds you.

4. Pluta

Pluta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) (source:freelanceidol.com)
    an estimated 73% of new website visitors come from search engines. Google, MSN Search, Yahoo! and Ask Jeeves currently account for a 94% UK market share of search marketing. Within this group, Google dominate with a massive 70% of UK searches (and 59% in the US). Furthermore, the volume of searches being carried out by Google has increased by 77% year-on-year since its inception (Moran and Hunt, 2008).

- Pay Per Click (PPC)
    Depending on the search engine, minimum prices per click start at a few pence going up to over £30. The Financial sector has been one of the most ambitious users of this model. Leads generated average at some £30 per lead. This is actually good compared with the traditional model of lead generation for this sector, which is over 3 times that! It’s interesting that many companies do not actually appreciate the current cost of their lead generation for comparison purposes.

5. marsh

marsh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using PPC. Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising is an advertising process based for the internet. It's used to promote goods by way of connecting them into websites in which some viewers would click on them.

One of the best way is to create the best ad using Shell out per click may be the need to stick with the budget. Don't get as well worried by ordering higher than it is possible to afford. Just focus on the strategy of key phrases and it will go well on the best way to develop PPC advertising. In addition, most people are just a little too excited when it comes to promoting rivalries. But what's important may be the need of earning the ad for the net. Time will come when the top rank is in your hand as extended as you're focus on the goals of promoting.

Usually remember to check the statistics of your web site to ensure that it is possible to guess and compute the total earnings. Compute the conversion rate in order for you to establish how many hits and clicks it takes on average just to sell a product. Then calculate your profit to equate the items that were promoted. Think about other ways to enhance your techniques in case you think you're not earning significantly. Bidding on how much expense which is listed for a particular word or phrase is one more spend per click Search engine optimization technique. If the bidder gets the highest bid, then the highest and crucial position advertisement is granted. But, it can be not constantly inside the best interest to complete this since you can effortlessly drive away your cash. Instead, attaining a reasonably high position in other areas is a lot much more desirable especially if you're still on the learning procedure.

#5 marsh, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the reply guys. Appreciate it. Actually i forward this thread to my friend. He has a reply. He said:

"I've tried SEO before, but i get no result. I just waste my money paying for an SEO person refered by another friend. Instead of gaining rank on search engine site I found out that my site was part on a link farm. This never help my site. I don't know what strategy he used for SEO that time but that was 2 years a go. I don't know if the strategy for SEO now was changed. So i was confused as of the moment which i will be using. One thing is for sure, I just want a good publicity and not a bad one."

What can you suggest guys?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

8. Brain

Brain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it depends. If you have the resources and want quick results then you should go for PPC because with SEO it takes time to bring your rankings on top. Thus SEO brings in generic rankings whereas PPC will bring you to the first page in no time.

9. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I completely agree with you brain.... SEO takes time to get your site on first page as it pass through lots of processes...

If you want immediate result, then go with Pay-Per-Click(PPC) advertising. It will be good for you....

10. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will forward this thread to my friend so that he will going to get a clear understanding with regards to his concern. Thanks to all your replies guys. This is a very helpful in our part especially to beginner like us in internet advertising tools. Thanks. Appreciate it.

11. RayJones

RayJones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely SEO. Unless you are prepared to pay $20 per click then you wont get much of a ranking. Hope this helps. Good luck

12. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are plenty of products and markets where you can do PPC for way less than $20 a click.

If you go PPC know what offer is going to most entice your market.

If you go the PPC route as has been suggested make sure it's a good ad and test it. Drive them to a landing page that gives clear instructions on the action to take to get whatever was promised in the ad that made them click.

I agree SEO can be expensive which was my point in another thread about what you can expect to get for $200. It needs to be done by people who know what they're doing who in my experience come from internet marketing not e-business or large consulting firms generally.

SEO can be incredibly effective - all of my sites and clients are at least on page 1 (usually within a month or less because most of their markets are poorly optimized) and mostly in the top 3 position with multiple listings/indented listings - reliable SEO experts are out there. The trick is finding them and getting clear brief together about the direction taken and also having enough knowledge to filter through any BS to ensure you know what they are doing and that it is going to get you the result you are after.

13. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely SEO, but working with SEM isn't too much of a leap. Maximizing your site, but without over-optimizing, can bring traffic to your site for certain keywords. I'm sure BAF doesn't need PPC as BAF is first on the keyword term "business advice forum", which has great search results. Thus then placing ads on the site will draw revenue (assuming clicks).

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Closely related to what Tecknowoman said, some Internet marketers use PPC to test their keywords before they implement an SEO campaign. Running an SEO campaign, to rank highly for a particular keyword can be quite expensive and sometimes it is difficult to know which keywords will convert for you. Your investment will be wasted, if the keyword you target does not convert.

One way to find out if a keyword will convert, is to run some PPC ads for that keyword. Analyse the results using your PPC's reports and conversion tracking tools. It's also worth noting that, because some keywords convert and others don’t, a term with a high PPC can sometimes have a lower cost per conversion, than a term with a much lower CPC

15. ShopDownLite

ShopDownLite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think both are good. It depends on the strategy you are following.

16. nirav

nirav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would prefer seo for long term benefit. If you want to gain short term benefit then go for ppc.