Pay For Reviews?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Redd, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before customers buy anything from an online store/site, they'll first need third party validation that the products they are buying are of a high quality, that the store they intend to buy those products from is legit and so on. Should they search the net and find no reviews then they may not buy anything from you.

To get reviews you might be forced to pay someone to test a product you are selling then afterwards they'll write a review.

To get more exposure/reviews, should a business/website owner pay lots of people to review the products they sell and have them [the reviews] posted all over the net?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While paid reviews do work, I've never been a fan of trying to generate business in that way. While it might take a lot longer, I'd rather just get reviews from genuine sales, and build up your reputation in that way.

If the product your offering is good enough, then even though it might take some time, people will start to notice it, and leave positive comments. These are far and away better than the reviews you'd get if you paid for them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hrishivardhan

hrishivardhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why you need paid review?
    If your product is good, then selling it genuine and get genuine review. This will increase your sell in a real way. Paid review will give you initial traffic and can spoil your reputation, if your products or service will be not good.

4. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it is a new product you can pay someone to try it and write a review. If you are not in a hurry do it the organic way. Rely on your ads and other marketing campaigns to reach your audience and wait for them to write about it. People nowadays are very fond of documenting almost everything they experience now that it is fairly easy to publish on the web

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's difficult to get over the initial bump of being a fresh start up, and I don't have a problem with paid reviews, as long as they're honest. I don't do many reviews, but I did encounter someone starting out who offered me a product that I needed. He didn't require a review, but I told him I'd be happy to post a positive review, if the product warranted it. It did, and I did follow through with the review.

What bothers me is when people pay for fake reviews, because those in the market for that type of service or product often rely on those reviews, and if the review isn't legitimate, the person could waste his/her money and time.

6. Sparkster

Sparkster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I would not pay for reviews or for people to test products. Paying people would encourage them to leave more positive reviews and the reviews may therefore be dishonest. Rather, I would provide the product to a certain amount of people for free in return for them reviewing the product but I would also ask them to be completely honest in their reviews. Even if some reviews are negative, I think it's important to be transparent.

7. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I never did anything like that but it seems quite legit to pay someone in order to get their opinon of the product but instead of paying that I would just simply gift the product. It seems more efficient isn't it?

8. P.Skinner

P.Skinner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the product has any actual worth you will be able to get reviews just by providing samples of the product itself to appropriate test users.

The more you pay for a review the less it is worth. You attract non-target users who do not represent your target customer and will not provide information of use to them. And you undermine the perceived honestly of your review because they have a conflict of interest and essential become a form of advertising not a peer-to-peer review.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would be great if a company or individual wanting to get testimonials on their products and services would have to pay someone for testing them and then write about it.

However is common (and unscrupulous) practice to get companies and individuals paying ghostwriters for fake testimonials talking about the wonders of their products and services without even know what they are about, and much less having testing them.

And here is where honesty of writers come into play, because many of them are up for a quick buck, but some other may not contribute unless they could really test the product to express an unbiased opinion.

Fake testimonials are always biased to favor the company which is paying for them.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aswell as companies paying extra for a positive review, you've also these days got the practice of companies paying people to write poor reviews on rival products, just to increase their own sales if a particular item.

There's a lot of underhanded methods around when it comes to business, and it just shows that where there is money to be made, morality and respect go out the window.

11. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paying for fake [positive reviews] is something black hat marketers regularly do. Their goal is to deceive their customers, make some quick cash and move on to some other shady venture.

If one a business owner must pay for reviews they should ask the writers to write objective reviews because when something sounds too good to be true it probably isn't. Everyone knows that . . . and they most likely won't buy anything from you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jason76

Jason76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can always ask for honest reviews. In one scenario, you might get a few bad reviews, but if most of them are good it might be enough for credibility. However, you might have to pay for reviews considering that a lot of customers, even good ones, won't give one.

13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, that's true, and sometimes they don't follow through with reviews, even when they have the best of intentions. I have several recent purchases I have been planning to review, but haven't had the time. Hopefully things will slow down soon and I'll be able to write at least short reviews, but I will only do that for the purchases I was either really pleased or unhappy with, at least until I get some spare time.

14. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid reviews are the worst kind. You can never trust how honest someone is being when your paying them to review your product. If the product is good enough and you ask them for a review on it you should be able to get a good one. A lot of sites like amazon and such will ask for reviews and get them for free. I think you should stay away from paid reviews.

15. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't believe in paid reviews. I believe the best way to build your reputation is to invest money in your product and service and customers will realize this and you'll get genuine reviews. Nothing better than that.