Passion vs Money

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My parents are not what you would call "Liberal". They would not have their children starve so they've always thought us the importance of money. They would rather have us have regular, boring jobs than see us pursuing our passions and struggling for money. I think that most parents are like that but here in tiny Singapore, it seems that most people thinks this way.

So if given the choice between passion or money, which one would you rather choose? Share your views.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's a good question. For those of us in developed countries, it is understandable that our parents are focused on money in this way. Most of our parents will have known bad times, know what it is like not to have money and to worry about where next week's food is going to come from. The fact that they know what it's like not to have money ensures that they value it in this way.

I've always felt that passion is more important than money and that if you do what you are passionate about and do it well, money will follow. Many personal success books espouse this belief.

I wonder how the downturn in the global economy will affect these beliefs?

3. Emily0415

Emily0415
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My solution is make money from my passion,that means finding a job I'm interested.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't deny that there are many people who followed their passions and became successful but there are also many others who followed their passions and are now broke. This is especially true if there is no demand for your passion in your country.

Let's say that your passion is badminton. If you're living in China, Indonesia, India or Singapore, I guess you could become successful by selling products related to badminton. But if you're living in the U.S., then that would be a different story altogether because rarely would you see people playing this sport there.

Another example are the many aspiring actors and actresses who dreams of making it big in hollywood. If you're good looking, sexy and you can also act, maybe you can get your big break and also be discovered. Unfortunately, there are more aspiring actors and actresses out there who, after so many years, are still waiting for their big break.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Emily and welcome to Business Advice Forum. If you find a way to make a living from what you are passionate in you are indeed very fortunate, and I wish you good luck in achieving this. They say that if you find what you love doing you'll never have to work a day in your life.

Good point Nazreen, you have to very careful when following your passion. You don't want to end up flogging a dead horse.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's totally depends on you to chose Passion or Money. It's also depends on the condition.

Both are important. If you have passion on something then it depends on how successful you become in it and Money is also needed on the other hand.

Love and Money and other things run this world. If there was no love then there would be no existence of human beings. They would be killing each other. Another thing is money, Money can buy most of the things. However it may not buy some other things like true love or friendship or like that. Money can be helpful too to live your life.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the ideal is that if your passion makes you money. What's even better is if your passion is to make money. I think I'll just try and do that too - make money-making my passion. :)

Anyway if given the choice, I think I will still choose money over my passion. I can live working and having a very boring job that pays me good money and at the same time, I can still pursue my passion as a hobby.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I remember once asking an experienced and very highly paid business trainer if he ever got bored delivering the same training over and over again. I expected him to say no, but much to my surprise he said that he did get bored with it but that he found his inspiration from his hobbies outside work.

This was a lesson to me that people can be profitable from work that they are not extremely passionate about and still do their work very well.

9. JPolito830

JPolito830
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can get the best of both worlds if you work hard and follow your passion. If you love something so much, you will not have problems working extra time and going the extra mile.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ever since I was a child, I've always loved baking. I should have gone for a baking course when I was still young but I didn't because my dad said before that it was too expensive. I was only taught basic baking by my mom. I'll still pursue my passion though but only after I already have children because I'm not getting any younger. Hopefully, my passion will also make me money. :)

How about you guys? What are your passions?

11. Dean-123

Dean-123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For a young people, passion is important than money. Or your life will be boring and that's what we are all scared.

12. The Elite Shinobi

The Elite Shinobi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being from India, where you CAN survive even if you are not making a lot of money, I think pursuing your passion is more important than making big money from something you're not passionate about.

Making big money might give you a lot of physical pleasures, but I prefer the mental satisfaction one gets by pursuing his/her passion, even if it doesn't get you big money. That's what's important right? What good is living with no mental satisfaction even if you have cart loads of money? On the other hand, I'm fine with living a life with only necessities and comforts having that mental satisfaction even if I can't reach the luxuries.

But I believe that if you pursue a career in what you're passionate about, no matter what it is, if you reach a certain level, you can always make quite some money.

13. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'd be lucky I'll have both. But they say that money will follow when you're happy with what you're doing. :)

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It would be difficult to disagree with the sentiments in the previous posts. Life is short and it is more important to do something you enjoy than to do something just because it earns you money.

I've heard wealthy people say that they don't do what they do for money, they do it for the thrill and personal satisfaction that they get from it.

15. akhanna18

akhanna18
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think passion is the most important thing that is required..if you don't have passion for something you can't do that and money is also a requirement but passion is bigger than that...

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess we have a lot of conflicting opinions on this. For myself, I was taught from young the importance of money. I even have to set aside my passion in order to pursue other jobs which I find boring and uninteresting, but pays more. As long as the working environment is nice and have a high pay, I can live with that. I've always told myself that I can always engage and do my passion in my spare time. But it's not often that I do it though.

Lately, after reading the different posts here in this thread, I'm beginning to doubt my thinking on this subject. Most of the posts here stresses the importance of passion. I think that now, I will also focus on my passions. There must be a semblance of balance in my life.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Balance is very important in life and I think most of us meet someone every now and again and think to ourselves that, that person has managed to get the balance just right and live a happy and successful life.

Nazreen maybe you can schedule more time into your life for a hobby that you really enjoy. You mentioned baking in another thread. Perhaps you could do some baking for friends and family to start off with and then develop it into a part time business, by baking products for sale. In this way you can protect your primary source of income until you have a feel for the business and have started to develop a reputation locally as a baker.

It is also worth reminding ourselves that we are indeed very privileged to be considering these matters. There is a huge proportion of the world's population who live at such a level of poverty that their only consideration is where their next meal is coming from. They don't have the luxury of thinking about passion V's money.

It's also interesting to consider that money doesn't bring happiness. I've met many glowingly happy people who had no money.

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Fergal, I would try your suggestion into allocating more time for my passion. Thanks!

I'm not really that good in baking though because I only learned the basics from my mom. My ex-colleagues, friends and family say that I have the hands and bake good cakes so maybe I'll go for some advanced baking courses and continue my learning in this area. Hope that someday I can also learn how to make and design those very big wedding cakes and at the same time make money from it.

You're also quite right in saying that we're very fortunate that we can discuss this in the forums. We should always be thankful for what we have now because if you look at the majority of people in third-world and under-developed countries, we have a lot compared to them.

19. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Obviously it would be ideal to get a mixture of both, but if forced to choose, I'd have to take money. It's an necessity, and you can find your passion outside of work if you hate your job.

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's nice that finally, someone agrees with me about choosing money over passion. :)

I have to say though that it's not only money that's a necessity, but also passion. Without our passions, we're more like robots doing only what needs to be done in order to earn money and survive. So I think that it's also a must that we also pursue our passions outside of work.