Participation Age Leadership Model

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Diane Lane, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  2. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've always loved the "train and trust" model - when I was working for a big networking company in Paris, they were very much like that. It's awesome to be given your work and a deadline, then left alone to do whatever the heck you want, provided the work is finished on time and meets spec. I worked from home frequently, came in late, left early - it didn't matter, as long as the work got done.

Unfortunately, I think there's a natural limit to the size of the company working with a very open model. When you get big enough to not know all your employees and be in reasonably personal touch with them, the opportunities for abuse become rampant, and the culture gets harder and harder to maintain - mostly because of the little Napoleons who want to build their own empire within the company (old-world style).

That's one of the things that sucked at the same networking company - in the 7+ years I was there, it went from an exciting, enjoyable, people-centred business to a standard big-business hierarchical junk-heap. And once you've lost that impetus, it's almost impossible to get back.

Of course, that's just my experience and what I've seen happen. It would be nice if the person-centred model can work no matter how big and successful the company is. I just don't have that much faith in humans, I'm afraid!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@SpikeTheLobster Yes, *sigh*, you're correct, but I'm somewhat of a dreamer. I hope they are able to figure out a way to perhaps break off into units within the larger organization that will enable them to continue using a collaborative approach, rather than resorting to a top down one.

4. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is what personal experience will usually bring about a good change in you. You will try to avoid the not so good experience of previous work from happening in your current undertaking. That is how we improve by learning from our and others experiences. Given the chance this is the same type of collaboration and employee engagement that I would like to use.

5. Tom Drake

Tom Drake
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some people do have different perspectives when it comes to the proper approach with references to supervising their individuals and even the business. Acquiring the appropriate perspective as it pertains to working with almost everything will really help you get your plans. I am enthusiastic to be better that is why I am venturing on a capacity building program. This is a good inspiration for my leadership development.

#5 Tom Drake, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015