Paranormal marketing is the fans

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by irahat, Oct 27, 2009.

1. irahat

irahat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mini budget film Paranormal Activity, was produced with a measly $15,000. But after only five weeks Paramount Films' new thriller has already raked in over $62 million and was last weekend's top ranked film.

It's based on a true story about a couple who think their house is haunted and sets up a video camera to capture whatever the presence is. Critics say the movie is more frightening because of what it doesn't show you rather than what it does. Director, Oren Peli.

OREN PELI, DIRECTOR OF "PARANORMAL ACTIVITY," SAYS:

"Well, I was first of all just trying to make sure that the movie is good, and my goal was to make movie that would scare me, the kind of movie that would be effective on me. So after that, I thought, if the movie has done well, and with a history of other movies that were done for no budget, like 'Blair Witch' and 'Open Water,' I thought there is the possibility that maybe it'll get picked up and you know, go out commercially and do well."

Unlike most Hollywood hits the fright flicks debuted first to sellout crowds at midnight-only screenings in a handful of markets. And Paramount's marketing strategy was to let hype on social networking sites---not multimillion dollar blow out advertising--do the heavy lifting.

Mike Monello, producer of the 1999 film hit "The Blair Witch Project", is now partner and creative director at New York based marketing firm, Campfire.

"Because of the origin of this movie you know, it doesn't have any stars, it has a small budget, it's something that people will naturally want to champion. We love underdog stories and this is a great underdog story as Blair Witch you know 10 years ago. And when you have an underdog story you can ask people to do a little bit of work to get the movie out there."

Monello says Paranormal is a genuinely good film. Yet its that underdog status and support of the social netowkring world that has really ignited its success--a formula he believes could work well for other genres.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent story that shows the true power of online marketing. A $15,000 budget is really tiny in Hollywood terms.

3. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's interesting Jo. I suppose you could buy a lot of sponsored blog posts for $15,000 and that could do a lot to promote a movie all over the Internet.

5. dipcliper

dipcliper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

very interesting article!hope yo see more article from you:)