Page Rank

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JPM, Mar 13, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have a question about google 'page rank'

Is this based soley on 'back links' to your site?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google don't publicly reveal what makes up their Page Rank algorithm, hence no one outside of Google knows everything that determines a web page's Page Rank. However, the single most important factor in determining Page Rank is the number and quality of external links pointing to that page.

However, even if you have lots of quality back links pointing to your site, Google could penalise you and remove your Page Rank, if they believe that you have been using black hat methods to get those links or if the site does not offer value to visitors.

When it comes to Page Rank I'd recommend not focusing too much attention on it. Providing a quality service to your visitors and members and ensuring that there is lots of good content on your site are much more important.

I've linked to some previous discussions on Page Rank that you might find interesting, below;

Page Rank & Content
    Google Page Rank is Overrated
    Any tips on increasing the PR?
    How to maintain PR ?

3. ArticleSetup

ArticleSetup
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mostly, yes, it is built on the number of backlinks to your site, the pagerank of those sites linking to you, and the relevancy of sites linking to you. Ultimately, just worry about getting quality links from relevant sites and your pagerank will be solid.

4. Transcribe

Transcribe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The more the quality backlinks pointing to your site, the higher the PR generally. Apart from that no one knows what makes Google's PR algorithm.

5. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm with Fergal.

There's more to PAgeRank than simply backlinks. What about on-page optimisation etc.? I would not focus on PageRank, and worry about your actual tracked keyword rankings as well as providing your customers the best service available. What's the point in having a PR10 website with no one using it? ;)

6. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Fergal said. There is no clear confirmation about Google page rank officially but there are many factors which are affecting and playing vital role to increase or decrease your pagerank in google. backlink is just one of those factors affecting Page Rank.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

generally yes. Only dofollow backlink help on PR.
    By the way, dont too focus in PR because it just a number, not helping you much in SERP

8. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google alogarithms always changing so it is hard to say but from yes the pagerank depends upon backlinks but that depends upon relevant sites.I have seen even a pagerank 0 sites are ranking well and getting good traffic.

9. jamhassan

jamhassan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

use the article submission to improve your traffic that is the good way to improve your domain.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR is just one of the factor affecting the SERP, not the only factor, and therefore you can see many low PR site beat high PR site on certain keyword

11. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's a quick definition of Page Rank. Page Rank is Google's way of giving a specific
    value to how popular your website is. It is based on the number of "votes" other websites cast
    for your website. A "vote" is simply when another website places a link on their website that is
    pointing to your website. Generally, the more "votes" or links you have pointing to your website,
    the higher your Page Rank (PR) will be. Page Rank is 1 of the many factors that Google takes
    into account when ranking websites.

12. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Its not true that page rank based soley on 'back links'. Google also consider your internal links and site navigation structure.

13. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PageRank is a numeric value that represents how important a page is on the web. Google figures that when one page links to another page, it is effectively casting a vote for the other page.

Get as many quality links as you can from other websites related to yours. PageRank isn't based solely upon the number of links, but the quality of the websites that are linking to you. However, the number of links to your website should be steadily increasing.

14. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I not agree that page rank is purely depend on backlinks. Reason as below:

1. some forum thread is easily achieve PR3 even with 0 replied, some of it is PR0 is with full replied. The thread get high PR because it has high click through rate and low exist rate.
    2. A bank secure page is achieve PR3, I don't think those bank site allow search engine to index their login page.

15. jole

jole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you tell which are other SERP factors then? How do you think?

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

meta tags is one. search engines claim they don't use meta tags long time ago but still these meta tags appear in searches.

17. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have worked 3 weeks on page rank of directories and web site
    I need customer I do income taxes part time to local market
    Chris

18. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19. SalesExpert

SalesExpert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Page Rank is a number given to your website by Google.Google Page Rank Start from 0 to 10.
    Google regularly reviews their Ranking Methods and, when doing so, they update and adjust the ways in which they determine the ranks. The confidentiality is necessary in order to protect the accuracy of the search results.
    Here is PR table
    View attachment 857

20. webhost

webhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Page rank is more important for improving a keywords.On-page and off-page methods are very useful to get the page rank.