Overcoming the fear of goal setting & Implementing Goals

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do your knees quake even at the sound of the words "goal setting"? Does the thought of taking the leap into doing this make you more white knuckled than a rollercoaster ride?

Then these pieces of guidance are for you. I wrote them in a less formal manner than most business advice you'll read. That's because I don't want to scare you any more than you already are! :D Seriously, I hope they give you a reason to not put it off a moment longer and you find some small snippet is useful in your business or your life.

Read the rest of Part I here

Part II of The Fear of Goal Setting and How to Overcome it

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just read your article on your blog Kay and I think that you've covered pretty much everything about goal setting and achieving it. Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't call it fear though because most people aren't afraid of setting goals, it's only that they're not achieving it. Just like during the Christmas season and with the coming of the New Year, a lot of people are already thinking and writing down their New Year's resolutions. By the month of May or June, a majority of the people who made these resolutions would have already given up. This is mostly because they have made unrealistic goals.

Your advise on making your goals realistic, setting short-term mini-goals and setting a time frame would do us all a lot of good in achieving our goals.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Kay, I agree with the views expressed by both you and Nazreen about making your goals realistic.

Goal setting and achievement can become a habit and it is easier to get into the habit if you start off slowly and are not too ambitious to begin with. Set yourself small goals with specific time scales to begin with and build from there. For example you might set yourself the goal of cleaning and tidying your kitchen by next Monday.

It is important that you work hard at achieving these small goals, within the time you have set for them. Having a tidy kitchen is important, but possibly not as important as gaining the confidence and knowledge that you can set a goal for yourself and achieve it. You can then set yourself a slightly more demanding goal for the next week. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much you can achieve in this way.

Once you are in the habit of setting these small goals and then working to achieve them, you can begin to set more ambitious, longer term goals. Such as getting a better job within 9 months.

4. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read your blog Kay, the article is neatly done and very informative. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Nazreen. :) You may well be right. Maybe fear's too strong a word - trepidation, anxiety... is something like that perhaps better? Or is it not fear but apathy, where they set them half heartedly and really don't care if the goals are met or not?

There's a saying along the lines of "all that's necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Substitute the phrase "poor business practices" for the word evil and we may be on to something.

My New Year resolution is always not to make any New Year resolutions and I stick to it religiously. ;)

Very good point, Fergal. If it doesn't feel like the goal's thundering down on you like an eighteen-wheeler with its immediate need of attention or size, you've got a much better chance of achieving it. You need to have the base camp in order before you climb the mountain. Thanks for the comment! :)

And thank you for taking the time to say so, youbetcha. :) You're very welcome.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is implementing goal as easy as setting goal???

Hi! ALL
    I have started this thread because I would like to invite a healthy discussion on this topic -IS implementing goal is as easy as setting goal.???
    Yeah friends many of us set a target of achieving this or that goal in a month or during a particular period of time & we also laid down an action plan or timetable to follow to help us achieve that goal.
    But in actual practice how many of you or us actually implement it to completion or to desired satisfaction level.
    What must be done to turn setting into implementation?
    What can be some techniques that can be followed towards better implementation?

These are the some questions whose answers I would like to welcome in this thread.
    I would also like if some of the experiences can be shared here about your feelings after the completion of your goal.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One technique that can be followed to turn setting into implementation is to visualize your goal.
    Visualize the best and worst thing that can happen which is associated with your goal.
    If you can visualize the worst thing more relevantly, then work towards making it less worst until it just gets eliminated from your life.
    If you can visualize the best thing more relevantly, then always feel the happiness which you will feel when you have achieved your goal.
    If you can visualize both things & cannot decide which is more relevant, then work towards making your best visualization of your goal into something that has more relevance in your life i.e. a transition from worst to best so that best can be achieved in reality so as to make your life better.

#7 scifi, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Visualization can be helpful indeed, yes, but personally I wouldn't visualize the negatives, only the positives. When you can tie into that at an emotional level too, it makes it all the more powerful. Many also use daily affirmations to ingrain the goal into their minds.

I made a thread before on BAF on this topic of goalsetting, scifi. It gives techniques you might find helpful on how to turn it into more of a reality than a pipe dream. You can see it here.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Threads merged!

Setting goals is easy. Writing your goals down is a little more difficult, but it shows commitment and increases your chances of achieving them.

Writing down SMART goals (goals that are specific, measureable, achieveable, realistic and timed) is more difficult again and again it increases your chances of achieving them.

Achieving your goals is where the real challenge is. Everyone has goals in their minds. Successful people write down their goals, take action to achieve them, evaluate their results, amend their actions if necessary and then achieve their goals.