Overclocking

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Tucker933, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tucker933

Tucker933
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you ever overclock? If so what is the highest stable clock you've reached, under what voltage and on what processor?

I'm 4.2GHz stable at 1.45v for my current Phenom II x6 1100T processor which was stock at 3.3GHz

2. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Non gamer user like me hardly clocking, because the existing processor is fast enough for daily routine work.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've never overclocked my PC, but it is beginning to run a little slow, perhaps it is something I should consider to speed it up.

4. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your PC is slower than usual, overclocking could be risky. It's a lot more stress on your processor, which will completely break if you push it too hard. If your processor is the source of the problem, say instead of a full hard drive, too many programs, etc, I'd strongly advise against overclocking.

If you don't already, use CCleaner. It's a free program that allows you to delete old files (temp, cookies, caches) from specific programs. It also has a program that deletes old registry values and errors which helps a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the advice Agent, I haven't used CCleaner in years. I will download the latest version and run it in the next couple of days.

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was still a gamer I once overclock and eventually worsen mypc's condition. Not that I'm not playing anymore, I just move to different OS to make my c run faster.

7. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem. I also found a complete wipe and OS reinstall helps a ton, although this is extremely time consuming, not to mention all the important files that need to be backed up.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Agent, a complete reformat has been recommended to me before. But I'm reluctant to go that route, because I'm concerned that I'll lose some files or programs that I need. I've ran cCleaner and it has deleted over 1,000 MB of data, hopefully that will help to speed things up at least a little.

9. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be sure to run the Registry tool. (I think it's a tab or two down from the default CCleaner tab.) It cleans up old file extensions, which can slightly decrease program start time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Agent, my PC actually seems a little faster today, which is great. I hadn't seen the Registry tool and will run that this evening.

11. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good to hear, hopefully it stays that way. I've gone through my fair share of computer problems this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it did, thanks for the advice, my PC is running faster than before. When shall I do it again? I mean in a week or in a month?

13. piizami

piizami
    uix_expand uix_collapse

last time i overclocked it was P4 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz stable.. no need to overclock these days anymore..

14. jiashia

jiashia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

do not recommend it to anybody, at least you have old motherboard for experiments, it actually reduce a lot guaranteed electronic overheated component expluatation time