Oscar's Blog

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by oscarg, Sep 18, 2010.

1. oscarg

oscarg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey all. I just want reviews on my blog. http://oscarg.fi.st

I'm working on a domain, it's not working right of now though.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Oscar, your blog confused me when I first visited it. The way you have the banners displayed in the "Sites I like" area makes your blog look like a low rate advertising site. It took me some time before I even noticed that you have blog posts on the site - I found them through the category listings in your right menu.

Is there any reason why you have decided against a traditional blog format and you don't show your blog posts on your home page? Do you have a "Blog" page at all, that shows all your blog posts in date order?

What kind of people do you feel will visit your blog and how will they benefit from it?

On a positive note I do like the design of your blog and it's great to see that your posts get so many comments from your readers.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To really view your blog posts, members need to use the right menu.. why you did not just list it out on the homepage like what fergal said? The "Sites I Like" you can put a widget named "Text" in your admin panel. You can place the banners into the widget at the side. Instead of using the huge space just to show people what you like. You can put things that is more useful.

Do you have a niche for your blog? Because i saw your right menu, you covered quite many things.

4. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to see the blog when I open up a link saying "Oscar's Blog", not an advertising chain. Without scrolling down or clicking anything, I can't see any link to the blog. There are adverts everywhere and doesn't seem to be laid out very well.

You really do need to show your blog; not just categories. People aren't going to stay on your site for long if all they see are adverts. Thankfully I am familiar with Wordpress and managed to see your actual content, as opposed to another advertisement.

On a positive note, I can see your blog has a fair few comments which does show people are visiting, and not getting bungled up with all the adverts.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry but I couldn't stay on your blog longer than what I used to do on most blogs.
    But here's my review on what I first timer think of your blog.

Banner/Logo/Favicon: It is done right but it still lack 'impact' on first time viewer.
    Your blog also lacks a favicon.

Domain: Is this a free domain? I suggest you to buy a top level domain so it can be easier to remember.

Layout: A three column layout is good. I always prefer it than 4-column and 2-column layouts, BUT, your homepage just contain links and shameless advertising. These are normally done in the inner pages, not on the homepage.

Blogpost: Your blogpost can only be seen on the inner pages. Visitors can't go directly on your posts without going on the right sidebar. On your blog posts itself, the texts are centered so reading the entries itself cannot be read properly. There are also posts without a header/title and some are just one liner questions.

Navbar: The navbar above is no really a navbar since it brought the readers on a static page that contain a blogpost. Your categories should be on this part of the site.

All in all, your site needs more improvement and can still be fixed.
    Good luck on it.

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A huge plus one here. However, I'd have to remove the 'first visited' caveat as it still confuses me hugely.

When the initial confusion regarding the landing page (I'll assume that's down to you not having the domain yet and ignore those issues already raised) is overcome, the rest of the blog is equally as confusing to be honest.

The nav bar gives no functionality to the site and appears to be there more as an advertising tool (linking out to two external sites) more than anything else. Something which is given by the general feel of the entire site.

This is the area I really don't understand. You have a huge variety of content, but having flicked through quite a bit of it I can't say I found any value to any of it.

Perhaps it's a site for you to chat with existing friends? If so, it might provide its purpose just fine. Otherwise, I'd look at providing far more valuable content than a few one line questions and a variety of 'gathered' (other than the one line questions, everything else I saw was copy/paste) content.

On first reaction, it's a site I'd certainly not return to as there was very little editorial value added to that 'gathered' content and if I wished to read about any of those topics, I'd go to an authority in that area. If the majority of the knowledge is coming from the guests/comments rather than the actual blog posts (i.e. the one line questions), it would simply encourage a user to follow the blog of one of the comment makers and not your own (or simply find a blog that did provide knowledgeable information).

There are various visual changes that could be made (more padding to the left, non centering of body text, etc.) and a huge number of SEO tweaks, but these are all very much secondary to deciding on what the aim of the site is. If it's simply to have some fun with friends (and get some backlinks to the various sites) these probably aren't a major concern. If that is the aim, I'd suggest you could find a more enjoyable way of doing it than simply copying a movie review, a recipe or pasting a one liner to do it.

7. 50dolars

50dolars
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

You can choose Zone time is invalid

8. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the website. And i happen to know Lukas Larsson the owner of ParkourX.com

9. BizDoc

BizDoc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I couldn't find the blog. Any reason why you don't have it upfront so a user just surfing will stop by and look without having to probe?