Organizational apps to keep you focused

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am going to work my way through ones I fancy on this list of 20 apps and see which are the most useful to me.

It would be great if we can contribute thoughts on any of the apps we try or have tried in the past. That's a timesaver right there! I feel more productive already. :D ;)

http://menwithpens.ca/20-apps-to-organize-thoughts

P.S. Evernote surprisingly isn't on it. That's one I already have on my own "check this out" list. I've been sticking with my trusty Backpack because to date most I've looked at since I started using that were too complex for my liking. I prefer simple.

2. branchofsuccess

branchofsuccess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

great! we always need more things to keep us organized

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some interesting applications there Kay. One application that I've been using a lot recently, but that is not on the list is http://tadalist.com/. It's excellent for keeping track of your to do lists. You can create a list for every project you are working on, edit your lists, re-order your list and check off tasks as you complete them. It's really simple to use and you can access your list anywhere you can get connected to the web.

I like the sound of the FreeMind, mind mapping application on that list, has anyone used it?

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, haven't tried FreeMind yet.

I see that tada also comes from the same folks that created Backpack too. I use my Backpack for to-do lists. It has a list option in it as well which sounds very like Tada.

Another list one I did use for a while was Toodledo. I liked that as well, especially the option to schedule repeating tasks to automatically appear in your list. Because I tended to use it during extremely busy periods, I found I was spending more time updating my to-do list than actioning it. The fault there was entirely mine though. It's a great app. :) The time estimates alone is worth using it for. You see exactly how much time you spend on something as opposed to what you think you do.

As things settled down more, I went back to just using my Backpack's list option. I may need to check out Tada and see if the features are better on the standalone version. Thanks for the tip!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the tip Kay. Toodledo, looks like a great application, however it is a little complex for my requirements, just at the moment. I'll stick with Tada List, for now.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found the same thing Fergal. It is worth the time to learn but only if you intend to use it frequently. If I didn't for a period of time and then went back to it, I had to relearn it all over again almost. Definitely isn't an occasional use tool.