Ordering Checks for Small Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by amsgator, Nov 11, 2012.

1. amsgator

amsgator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have two questions regarding checks for my small business, but before I ask I'll give a brief background. I am the managing-member of a small service industry LLC in FL. When I say small, I mean small.

I need to order checks for the rare times I need to mail payments or when the payee requests check/money order. I don't anticipate needing them more than a few times per month.

So my first question is, can I order 6" "personal checks" to use for my business? They are much cheaper than 8" "business checks." They are also smaller and easier to carry around. Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Second question is should I add my name to the checks below the business name. I am familiar with the need to keep business and personal finances separate and not giving the appearance they are commingled, not piercing the corporate veil, etc. However, my intent would be to have my name under the business name followed by "MGRM" for managing-member; indicating it is not a personal check, but me signing the check on behalf of the business. I am the only person authorize user on the account, so needing the checks available for multiple users is not an issue.

Security wise, if anyone stole my checkbook they would know what name to write, but at the same time they couldn't just sign any name and be able to cash it. Hopefully the person taking the check looks at an ID. I think it would also make it easier to prove that the check wasn't written by me when the signatures don't match up.

Thanks for reading this long post, I appreciate any and all advice since everyone here is a lot more experience than I!

#1 amsgator, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

amsgator have you contacted your bank regarding this? I'd suggest asking them what are the best and lowest cost options available for your particular circumstances.

As you say there are advantages to keeping your business and personal accounts separate and you also say that you won't be sending out many cheques. Would the small increase in cost for business cheques, not be worth paying, for the advantages you will receive?

3. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suppose you must use your business checks for all the transactions related to the business and must keep the personal account away from it. Anyways, your bank would be able to guide you much better.

4. amsgator

amsgator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies. Once they told me the cost of the checks I almost passed out. It's about 25x more expensive to order from the bank than say, Sams Club or Walmart. On the debit card for the account it has both my name and the business name, so I'd go out on a limb and say their checks would be the same. I'll give them a ring and see what the say.

#4 amsgator, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. amsgator

amsgator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only advantage I've found to having an actual 8" business check is the addition of the Auxiliary On-Us field so it prevents the check being run as an e-check/ACH debit. And whether that is an advantage is even debatable.

It will still be the business's check(s). I'm just debating on putting my name under the business name followed by my position that way Joe Blo can't go writing checks with my business checks if they come up stolen/missing. I just thought having my position after my name would indicate I am acting on behalf of the business and it is not a personal transaction. I was just wondering if anyone else here has done similar.

#5 amsgator, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Maybe you should shop around a little and see if you can find another bank who can give you a better deal on your business banking?

7. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Believe it or not, VistaPrint does business check printing. Very affordable. Great if you just need separate business checks without all the bells and whistles of a business check book/binder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Once you have a checking account open, they will offer you a few free checks to get started. Go to Costco or Walmart to get some business checks. Much better and much cheaper. I still remember when I opened my first business checking account. The bank rep that opened up my account actually gave me this piece of advice after she found out I was on a shoe string budget!

• Like Like x 1