Opportunity to advance

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ChefDracula, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ChefDracula

ChefDracula
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So I have started down the path of Culinary Arts as a career to fall back on if what I do later in life does not work out for me. So very recently my boss decided he has had enough at our business, and is leaving. We work at an entertainment center and the kitchen is run by one manager (who is leaving), 2 leads (people who are supposed to be in charge have like no real power over anyone) , and about 6 cooks. I have been working there as a cook for almost a year, and going to school, taking my last class for my degree right now which is exactly what our kitchen manager does. Nobody in the kitchen is willing to apply for the job except me. So I already applied at the place where I currently work for my bosses job. I work nice business wear, and dropped off a cover letter written by a current co-worker, my resume, and a filled out application, along with a copy of my portfolio for the position. The only problem is I have not had any real experience in a management position but I have vast knowledge of how to handle a position of management in a kitchen. I am doing all i can to show our GM that I can handle the position but my question is if it is a smart idea to come out and tell my boss directly that I am trying to take his job. Is this proper work ethics to do such a thing? I am on good terms with my boss but do not want most of all the opportunity to take a position of management (everyone has to start somewhere, and just getting a chance for somebody to give it to you is SO hard to come by) at the place where I work since I've spent the last 3 years almost earning a A.S. degree for it. The GM and my boss are also good buddies and I feel that I have a slight chance at getting the job. Any advice on how the situation may be handled is great but I in the end will come to my own decision on my next course of action.

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can do it. As long as you have a positive attitude at anything. Go for it! Just do your best at anything you do even when the GM is not around.

3. Dean

Dean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your lack of managerial experience may be a drawback but if you speak to your current boss he may be willing to show you the ropes.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. Well, just show the GM what your skills are, what you can do better than the others in terms of work. There is no need to talk to your boss about it. If the GM really wants or sees that you deserve the position, then he/she will give it to you.

Being a professional, you don't want to advance yourself or promote yourself right away with the position. Again, just show what you got. And if you deserve it, it will be given to you.