Opinions about a business name

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by davidans, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidans

davidans
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    We are about to open a local gym for women only.
    What do you think about the name "Pink Lady"?
    Imagine it with a logo based on apple symbol (looks a little like Apple)
    Thanks in advance!
    David

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

"Pink Lady" sounds more like a name for a hair salon than a gym. When thinking of a business name, you need to think of why your potential customers use your type of business, as well as the type of business you have. Some of the existing names for women's gyms include Total Women Spa, Lady Of America, and Healthworks Fitness. One exception is Lucille Roberts, which was started by an aerobics instructor who opened her own gym after her classes became popular. With the name "Pink Lady", you would have to take time to educate people about what "Pink Lady" actually is, then attract more customers based on what the business is for.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidans

davidans
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your help is appreciated.
    Well, It doesn't have to express fitness exactly, more than "Apple" - for example - expresses an high-tech company.
    I mean, we can always accustom the market, this is not a big issue.
    All I need is to make sure that it doesn't represent a problematic connotations, nor contrary messages.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You are right of course, there are many business names that are not obviously about the business function. "Apple" is one, "Amazon" is another. Before they became famous, who would have associated the word "amazon" with online shopping?

I was being polite when I mentioned hair salons. There is another type of business that may come to mind when the name "Pink Lady" is mentioned. Let's just say it is frequented by men, I think you get the idea.

5. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since Pink Lady is a type of apple, I'm not sure what the connotations are meant to be.

My wife and four adult daughters all claim that their initial perceptions of the name reflect the fact that they're hot, flushed and sweaty after a workout — which is not really what their primary reason for going to a gym is all about. That's just a means to an end… a by-product of the process.

Just a thought.

6. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pinky Lady seems like the name for the women's beauty parlor and not for the gym. With the help of images one can come to know that it is gym. So I will suggest you to change the name.

7. MarkHache

MarkHache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We should probably know where you are opening to better answer this? "Pink Lady" may not resonate in our locales but might make sense where you're located, I don't know.

That aside I would try to work a "benefit" associated with your gym into the name. Planet Fitness, Crossfit, LA Fitness, Powerhouse Gym - these all conjure up imagery that the target demo can relate to and aspire to. I would stay away from vague or esoteric names and go with something that rings with your prospective customers.

8. chilearnsap

chilearnsap
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In as much as ladies like pink as a colour, having a name like that in my opinion will not appeal to ladies that are not into pink color. Name like 'healthy ladies' may do.

9. GoldFather

GoldFather
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you think the Pink Lady works well as a gym name? Are you trying to be satirical? Its the opposite brand development strategy you should take but it may work. I vote no.

10. Christina Maria

Christina Maria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like a stripper club or a bar. Sorry. Use a variant of the word "Fit" in it to make it clearer what you're branding.

11. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be frank, I also don't like the name Pink lady. You must try names which convey that its a Gym for Ladies. "Slim Lady" or "Be Slim Lady" or something like that. Also, the logo of the company must also convey the same massage.

• Like Like x 1
    #11 rudradhar, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  12. melisalissa05

melisalissa05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why did you choose that name? And is there going to be anything else on your logo that will describe what you do, like "Pink Lady Fitness for Women"?

13. mishraraj2603

mishraraj2603
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Name is not suitable for women's gym.
    It should be like. "Lady Fitness Gym", Ordinary Fitness Gym, also keep logo as per your name.

14. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Might work! But I'd suggest you to name it after the location you are about to launch the fitness club. This strategy works wonders. Incase you are having an online website, and the keyword works wonder to you as it is in the brand itself.

15. joy.linford

joy.linford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest EnVie Fitness Gyms for your lady gym.

#15 joy.linford, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Sorry to disappoint you, but that name is already taken. I checked the "About Us" page on their website, and it didn't tell me how long they have been in business, but the website has been up since 2011, three years before the OP's question was posted. Assuming it wasn't taken, however, why would you suggest the name? What is the significance? Is there anything about that name that would suggest "ladies"?

#16 Joseph.Shivell, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Weren't the Pink Lady's in the film Grease? It definitely sounds more like a lap dancing bar to me! Stick with something that sounds professional and not gimicky

18. RTSteam

RTSteam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pink Lady does indeed sound unsuitable for a women's gym but if we try to search the internet or dictionary about the word pink, it may also mean in very good health or good condition. If you can imply or explain that to people, men and women alike, it could be a good name for a women's gym. But this would not be easy. You might want to change the logo so that it will work.

19. piapetersson

piapetersson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

business title

I don't think 'pink lady' is that much suitable name for gym, though the idea of using apple in logo is apt. Try different and more relevant name.

20. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also, I don't think so, that the Pink Lady was an appropriate name for a women's gym. Maybe "Athletic Lady" or "Slim Lady" or "Willow Lady"?:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.