opening an outsource call centre

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by kieran200990, May 19, 2011.

1. kieran200990

kieran200990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For the last 3 years i have been working in sales in call centers. Most of the places i have worked are outsourced call centers cold calling the general public on behalf of big established company's such as 3 mobile , sky tv ,talk talk , British gas etc. A big question popped into my head and that was, what's to stop me setting up my own company and selling on behalf of these big companies by opening up a small call center. Now i am aware of the costs involved and the licenses and compliance but how would i go about obtaining a contract or even getting the time of day with these companies. Surely with the right sales team we would make sales for a company and any sales made would generate a revenue for the company that i would be representing so surely its a no brainer!. The only doubts i have is why would a company let me sell on behalf of them without a solid proven background any ideas????

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum kieran200990, thanks for joining and posting your business questions. I spent a few years working with SITEL in both the UK and Ireland, you may be familiar with them?

Outsourcing call centre work is a big decision for a company, because it entails trusting another business to speak to their customers. If a call centre offers a bad service on behalf of a client company, it reflects poorly on the company and has the potential to lose them customers and seriously damage their reputation. For this reason, client companies will take outsourcing decisions seriously and only outsource call centre work to companies they trust. This trust will come from two main sources - the company's knowledge of your personal background and experience and the work that your call centre business has successfully completed to date.

You haven't told us what level you worked at with your previous employers. If your job entailed contact with client companies and you have a good rapport with them, it will be easier for you to sell to those large companies because they will know and trust you. If you don't have those contacts you will most probably need to establish your reputation and trust by working for smaller companies and building up your own company's reputation, case studies and experience, before the larger companies will trust you.

If you can please post back with your thoughts on that I will reply with further suggestions and feedback.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kieran,

For the new brand or new company, it is hard to get approved by those big company as their approved vendor/supplier. This happen to all the filed. Therefore, many brand new or new set up company will focus on small medium company to build up their reputation before go to the big company. You need to spend some time to build up your company before think on getting big order

4. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually nothing stops you. But as Fergal pointed out, you probably won't be able to sell your service to the big companies, mainly because you'll have to build a name first.

5. bossagain

bossagain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly you definitely need to build up your brand image before opting for the large scale companies go for the medium size companies first then you can go long with bigger ones.

6. Dayanan

Dayanan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have worked in sales for 3 years that's great but it is only one aspect of the business. There is the management, recruiting and especially analysis of the agents work where experienced personal is needed.

Another aspect, do you have the capital to setup and start and enough working capital to keep you going until your clients pay you.

A business plan is a necessity.

7. dsmith1210

dsmith1210
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like the majority of people have said on here the only way to build trust is by starting small and working your way up. Big companies have spent a long time themselfs building up their companies and their image and reputation.

8. wwservice

wwservice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Multinational Call Centre Service provider

We are a multinational Call Centre Service provider specializing in answering services (24/7 inbound and outbound calls, email support, livechat) and back office work. Over the past few years we’ve built a professional support team. The staff is very experienced and customer-oriented; they handle general support questions as well as tech support, including web hosting management, website maintenance, etc.

We also offer affordable web design solutions, trade marketing, and website promotion/SEO services for all industries.

9. Greg

Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seeing that most big companies work with huge decentralized call centers with agents operating simultaneously from all over the world, you will have a hard time trying to compete with those at once. Fortunately, there are new customers for your business every day, and if you start with local companies, you can well work you way up in a few year's time.

10. MillieGilbert

MillieGilbert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree build your image, grow your company.
    Then go for big deal.
    this is the way....

11. Declan

Declan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very nice, thanks everyone for sharing there comments. Actually, I'm also intending to do something regarding it.
    I got a lot of help. thanks again. regards

12. Declan

Declan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oakland County boot camp

13. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just focus on your competitors that can create problem for you. If you target such a market place where competition is low then it will be much easy for you to target lot of customers from there. Best of luck.

14. Webcs-Peter

Webcs-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What problems do you mean?

15. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A risky move but it is going to pay in the end.