Opening a small, cell phone repair shop and need some assistance...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by aozborne218, Mar 13, 2013.

1. aozborne218

aozborne218
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello there! My name is Abram Osborne, and I am based out of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. I am in need of some assistance to get my business rolling. I haven't taken any business courses in college, but learning on the way from my father in law, since he owns an Appraisal business. Anyways, is there any certifications I need to open up a shop? I know I have to get LLC, and a Federal Tax ID #, but in order to get business going, what else would I need? Thank you everyone.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First of all welcome to Business Advice Forum Abram.

You don't necessarily need any particular certification to open a shop. However, it would partly depend on the type of shop you are opening, could you please tell us a little more about that?

3. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are a couple of links that should help you

http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/Business/Starting_a_Business/index.aspx - Basic guidelines for Minnesota business start ups

http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/...ting_A_Business_In_Minnesota_30th_Ed_2012.pdf - Guide about how to start a business in Minnesota.

I recommend you go visit your local chamber of commerce - http://www.grandmn.com/ - Go visit them in person and tell them that you want to start a new business, but you are looking for some mentors. Many chambers of commerce conduct periodic training classes about running a small business. They have guest speakers who are other business owners in your local community.

Get to know as many other local business owners as you can. You will hit it off with a few of them. Those people will give you the best advice possible about what you need to do in order to "make it".

Find yourself a local CPA and a local Attorney to help you get the business started. I recommend using a local attorney to form your LLC rather than using an online service. The local attorney will do a much better job for you even if it costs a couple hundred dollars more. ***If you listen to no other advice from me in this post - you should definitely use a local attorney to start your LLC****

Ask the accountant how to setup your books. Use whatever accounting program the accountant recommends that you use. Also ask that accountant if he/she can provide you with a calendar of all the state tax due dates and tax form numbers that you will need to file throughout the year. That will save you headaches and fines.

Your top business advisors should be your CPA, your attorney and any other local business people that you get along well with. Don't be afraid to ask them for help. All will be very willing to help you and glad that you asked them for their help.

Make sure you charge enough money for your services. Most first time business owners under-value their own time. Charge enough to earn a handsome profit. It will cost you more money than you think to run your business.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

aozborne218: Welcome to BAF! Cell phone repair shop is really a good business here. Here in my country, it's a profitable business here. The things you mentioned for the shop is okay. Here, in my country we also need PAN. I don't know if you need that in your country.