Online Idea to Help World Hunger - Please Give Suggestions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've just opened Hunger Link.org. The concept behind it is that I will make a contribution to the World Food Programme every time I approve a site on the HungerLink blog. In order to be approved sites have to help promote Hunger Link by linking back to it or making a post on their blog about it.

The longer term aim is to be able to sell enough advertising space on Hunger Link to finance the donations to the World Food Programme. I do not wish to make a profit from the site. All revenue will be donated to world hunger campaigns.

The site benefits site owners because it gives them a free link, a free blog post about their site and they are making a contribution to world hunger which may in turn be good for their PR.

What do you think of the concept?

Have you any suggestions for improving it?

Thanks!

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Spectacular idea Fergal.

Increase it's size by getting facts and putting them in there. How many people are considered starving, world wide, then break it down by nation to increase post, and hopefully, comment count.

Other than that make the site a bit more lively through the use of colours.

3. ripified

ripified
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about getting sponsorships from big companies selling your idea and so on? Joining hands with big charitable group to get people to help. I remember seeing this site where people get 1 question right, rice will be given to people in africa.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for suggestions. I've installed a new theme to give the site a bit more colour as suggested. I'll add some hunger / poverty related facts in the near future.

Ripified I think the "rice" site you refer to is http://www.freerice.com. I plan on getting some advertising and sponsorship once the site gets busier. The advertising and sponsorship will be used to finance the donations.

5. rachael24

rachael24
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a fantastic idea that you are doing, I commend you on it! Good luck!

6. lokesh05

lokesh05
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Idea: Fantastic!
    Execution: Awesome!
    The site is simple and good! More content in coming days will sure help it a lot more!
    Wishing you success in the mission!