Online file backup to a safe server

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by mv5869, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to know what people think about online backup. I have used it successfully for a couple of years, and when my laptop was stolen last year I was so glad I had been using it. Within 24 hours I had recovered everything, except my music.

On the other hand some people say it is not safe.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An online back up service is something that I really need to start using and I'm considering signing up for http://mozy.com/.

Who do you use for it and how would you rate their service?

3. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - Yes Mozy is the one I use. I've been really pleased with it overall. Very easy to use.

The first time you back up it takes about 24 hrs, but after that it only does incremental changes, so its very quick. A great tool.

There is a free version, which is exactly the same as the paid one but backs up only 2GB. That is plenty if you just want to back up files, websites etc. I've always used that free service and its great. Its not easy to find the free one on their site though. Go to mozy.com then click MozyHome (top left of screen) then scroll down and you will see it on the left.

If you do sign up for it it would be great if you could use my referall code. That way I get an extra 250MB on my storage limit, and so do you. Win win.

https://mozy.com

Much appreciated!

Let me know what you think of it. I'm a big fan.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your help mv5869, I've signed up. Installing the software now, hopefully it's just what I need.

5. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mozy looks good, but why not just get a portable hard-drive and back it all up on there?

6. Carbonite

Carbonite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are in business then a remote backup service is mandatory. Regardless of whether you use tapes or and external hard drives, you should also backup remotely using a service such as Carbonite or Mozy. Both of these services provide an online backup of your PC contents to remote servers. So when your PC dies or gets stolen you have protection.

What they also offers is automated backups. Ie you don't need to remember to run the backup. The software automatically runs it for you. So you are always protected.

The advantage of remote backup over external drives is that should your office get broken into and hard ware gets stolen you can get your data back instantly. Same goes for fire and other disasters that may occur.

7. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Keaton. I would probably buy a portable harddisk and back-up my files that are necessary to me.

However, I feel mozy.com is great for backing up for your internet files. I would be using them to backup my site files. Thanks for sharing the site. Appreciated.

8. Business Forms

Business Forms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello...!! there are many server which you give a free space to save your data...mozy.com is good one ...but i am with 4shared.com.... that site give a 10 GB free web space without any charge...... i like that..there are also option for sharing rights for folder .. if you want to share any folder with public you can... and if any folder or file which you dont want share with any one... you can make that private..so i like that 4share site for the backup... just try it.. i am sure you like it ...

9. Carbonite

Carbonite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nothing wrong with a hard disk, other than it can get stolen and or break. If your in business, do both, external drives and remote access.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Carbonite, thanks for joining and posting. Please feel free to advertise your services or website in our Member Ads & Marketplace forum and in your signature here on Business Advice Forum.

I agree with you and other members that remote back up gives a lot of additional security over and above using an external hard drive. The fact that it's automated means that you won't forget to run your backups or get lazy about doing them.

11. navast

navast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I`m use to backing up necessary files by harddisk.

12. ROBERTA

ROBERTA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Free, reliable, private- take a look at Microsoft Office Live Workspace.

13. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there are lots of places that give you online shared disk space, but Mozy is different. It backs up your files in the background, so its a recovery device, not a file sharing tool. Different purpose. Both are great tools, for their own uses.

#13 mv5869, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  14. jamesmartin86

jamesmartin86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MyPCBackup takes the security and privacy of your data very seriously. All your files are encrypted with the same security as banks use.

15. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Docs is also a good platform to use for the data backup although it provides only 1 GB for one account but if you pay $5 then it will increase the space for the storage.