Online Business?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by -wataru-, Aug 9, 2008.

1. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know everyone in this forum do online business. I am one of them and I started doing online business doing some directory site creation and selling of links. But my problem is that everytime I create one I always earn good at the start but in the long run everything seems to be useless. Any tips or tricks to make a directory be stable for earning?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

-wataru- Welcome to Business Advice Forum.

Most people find it difficult to get a site or directory established and earning money. If you earn money quite quickly and then it goes downhill, could this be because you lose interest and focus on the project?

3. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I did not lose interest its just that when you already have a lot of links advertised on your directory there is a low volume of advertisers who wants to purchase links as it would look like a link farm if you have too many. That might be the reason why its only good for start.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you have lots of well chosen categories in your directory, this should not be an issue. Your directory will only look like a link farm if you have too few, or inappropriate categories resulting in too many links in each category.

If you take a look at some other successful directories you might get some ideas for appropriate categories for your own.

Please keep us updated on how it works out for you.

5. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually my directory has good categories but its a free directory and I only earn from paid listings. So if I get a lot of links then thats the time it would look like a link farm right?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you are not earning any revenue from those who are submitting free links, you can afford to be quite selective regarding which links you actually approve. If you adopt a policy of only approving high quality sites you can maintain a quality directory that doesn't look like a link farm.

You could also consider charging a small amount for standard listings and offer reciprocal links for free. This will ensure that you get some benefit from every link added to your directory.

Feel free to post a link to your directory and we may be able to give you some useful and specific tips.

7. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I am planning to change my template and also would want to charge for a few cents on my upcoming project. Yes I am doing that right now, I am choosing well the links that I approve.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Don't forget that if your charge is very low, PayPal will take most of your revenue in fees.

9. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah I would take note of that. By the way for charging for listings what do you think would be the most reasonable price if I am getting 2k+ UV a day.?

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Difficult to say because it also depends on the PR of the directory. You should take a look at what your competitors are charging, this won't be difficult if you use sites such as http://webdirectorylist.com and forums with directory announcements such as DigitalPoint.

I have a PR3 directory and charging $6 for a standard listing works quite well on it.

Do you know what your target customers are prepared to pay and what they are currently paying to your competitors?

You should also have a look at http://info.vilesilencer.com for some up to date info on the directory business.

#10 Fergal, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  11. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah actually my directory is a PR3 as well and I am planning to charge $3 each link. Would that be a better charge for my customers?

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Test it out at $3 a link and see how it goes. If you get lots of submissions you might consider increasing your price.