One way to supply your thrift store

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by pendelton, Mar 19, 2008.

1. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

People seem to love the dollar stores and the thrift(resale) stores. They just can not get enough of them, they sprout up like weeds. Add garage/yard sales and flee markets, well, there are a million people ready to give you some money.

For an off line business one of the major funding issue is stock, along with employees, rent, and utilities.

Get in your car, or better yet, get a cheap truck, and go looking around your town each night before garbage pick up.

When I was a teen the amount of stuff I would take home, clean and fix, then put in my mothers ever present yard sale brought in pretty good cash, and I only did a few blocks around the homestead. In larger area, 50,000 plus in size, you can get a bunch of stuff. In my area, a city of 100,000+, I see lamps, stereo cabinets, chairs, kids toys, and all kinds of appliances. All you need is a storage area and a work area at first. A little know how, or the willingness to learn, and a small tool kit and you are off and running.

One guy I know made an interesting set of shelves for his wife using the left overs from a few stereo cabinets and the pole pieces from those halogen lights that look like tall bird baths. It took a while to gather the matching parts, but it looked great.

For online sales you take a few pics and weigh it out so you know shipping, and you are good to go. Create your own store and market the hell out of it, especially if you are making one of a kind creations. It opens the entire green movement to you.

Shipping can be a flat rate. Find the furthest point that you will ship too, say if you live in Maine you would probably pick southern California, and add $10.00 or so. That is the flat rate for Shipping and Handling. Another option is to include the shipping in the price of the product and offer free shipping. Your profit will vary by distance, but, people will like the idea of free shipping.

If this is done by people based on 100,000 per business you are looking at about 3,000 businesses like this in the US alone.

Good luck and happy hunting.

2. rachael24

rachael24
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have some good info on Thrift stores in you post. They can be gold mines if you figure out a way to run them correctly and efficiently!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for providing such an excellent level of detail on this business idea. This kind of business appears to be much more prevalent in the US than what it is in Europe. People in Europe don't normally leave there unwanted goods out on the street for others to collect. Although saying that some free newspapers include ads for unwanted goods that can be collected free of charge.

Your post is an excellent demonstration of the fact that there are business opportunities all around us and someone with the drive, discipline and hard work can make good on the simplest of ideas.

4. singingjeanie

singingjeanie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My brother does that here in Canada. He has a half ton truck and goes for drives around his city and picks up things that are left at the road side, takes them home, fixes and puts ads online and sells for a great profit. He always watched for freebies on ads online in his area too and goes picks stuff up and re posts online making alot of money. I thought he was nuts at first lol but now I applaud him :)

5. alunduo007

alunduo007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is so good post!

6. mike_smith

mike_smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Awesome post with full information you can also improve your business by using professional Matt laminated Business Cards.