One brand that sells everything?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by geneiusxie, Sep 3, 2014.

1. geneiusxie

geneiusxie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I keep wondering why do so many companies only make one thing when they probably could make quite a bit of extra money on the side by making other stuff, e.g. why doesn't Google/Samsung make shoes or clothing (a good example with high margins and little financial exposure) or speaker docks for their phones.

As long as they are of high quality and no major problems, etc., they shouldn't damage the brand's reputation. And since they don't need to spend as much money in advertising like most other clothing brands, they could have a big advantage.

One problem I see is that some people want their brand to be known for one thing only, like smartphones/computers.

Would consumers want to buy Google branded shirts if they were just as good as ones from Ralph Lauren?

2. JPMaroney

JPMaroney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me a brand that sell everything is Avon. Try to look at it. :)

3. bretttina

bretttina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google are now making Driver-less cars :)

4. webdesignphx

webdesignphx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is selling domains now too! I would be glad some of these companies dont! If these huge corporations sold everything we would have no chance in starting our own businesses. Just a perspective...

5. geneiusxie

geneiusxie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would you buy sunglasses (iShades anyone?) from Apple (or a third party that has permission to use their logo) if the price/quality was just as good as say, Ray Bans? Or shoes that were just as good as your current favorite brand?

Or a better question would be, would it be worth it for Apple to risk losing the power of their brand because then Apple would be known for more than computers/phones and consumers might lose trust in a brand that doesn't have as much focus?

Or is the main reason the fear that if those hypothetical sunglasses had issues, like creaky hinges, the resulting damage to the Apple brand would result in an overall loss?

Or would it be better for Apple to wait a few decades and then "cash in" on their reputation by selling all sorts of crap of good or mediocre quality?

(Not saying that Apple is a good brand. I feel like the quality of their products, esp. software, has fallen greatly since 4-5 years ago)

Btw, there are many things Avon doesn't sell