One book to change a life?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by thebizmentor, Mar 3, 2011.

1. thebizmentor

thebizmentor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I were to read one book to change my life what would it be?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What kind of life change are you looking for, e.g. do you want to improve your personal, spiritual, financial or business life? Different books work for different people and different books are more appropriate for specific areas of life.

I've read quite a few business and personal success books and would find it difficult to say that any one of them changed my life. A couple of books that did stand out were "The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield and "What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School" by Mark McCormack. The primary lesson I got from these books was to take full personal responsibility for my own life and to not blame anyone else or external circumstances for the results I achieve.

3. thebizmentor

thebizmentor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

To be honest I think the best books tend to cover all of those things. I find that most of them are interlinked anyway.

The best book that I have read to date is Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. It is a blueprint for life and work. I wondered if anyone had discovered other gems that help to see work/life in a different way?

Marc

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Marc, I've also read "The Four Hour Work Week", there are great lessons in it and a lot of practical tips that can be used to help make us much more efficient and effective in our work.

5. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have not read the 'Secret' but many people says it is worth reading to change the thinking. Any one read it?

G!

6. kylie2011

kylie2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why not to read the Bible? I think this is the only book which can give answers to all questions and can change everybody's life for sure.

7. eveadam

eveadam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am reading Many Lives Many Masters by famous psychiatrist Dr Brian Weiss. I am so enthusiastic with this book that I planned to explore myself. It is a nice book about the doctor’s experience with one of his clients which changed their lives.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I have read few pages of this book...this book gives details about habits and attitude that we often neglect in our life and explains them through several examples..Though still reading, but At a glance it is not captivating type in Nature..!!

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've just had a look at it on Amazon and it does sound interesting. It talks about using hypnosis to explore the patient's past lives. Did you find that part of the book credible?

10. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Brian Tracy's Million Dollar Habits is a good one as it not only has great tips on wealth creation, but balances with numerous useful tips on health and personal development as well. T Harv Eker's Secrets of the Millionaire Mind and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad are also title that can change one's thinking. These two books really put the spotlight on the importance of creating passive income streams.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ellaetorres

ellaetorres
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I am fully agreeing with you. One book can change our entire life.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Has a book changed your life ellaetorres? If so what was it and how did it impact you?

13. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This book is quite old, i bought it 4 or 5 years ago if not mistaken. For me, it is quite good, suitable for everyone because the chapter is very short. It is all about learn from your living, make yourself in a habit, have your own target, work on it etc

14. Vetty

Vetty
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Four Hour Work Week can do both change your life AND also make you more effective with your time and career.

15. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmmm.. For my own opinion, every book that has been published has something for us to learn.
    i would suggest "Purpose Driven Life".. Aside from that, a book by Lao Tzu is quite reading for.

16. zsander11

zsander11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest that you to read the "Our Daily Bread" book. It really will change your life. Many lives has already been changed by that book. I will guarantee that yours too. Make it happen.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've found more than one book with that title in Amazon. Which one are you referring to, who is the author?

18. edric123

edric123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me i thin 7 Habit, book is best for teen ager to change his/her life, i also read this book,
    its amazing and i got many things from this book, so i will recommend to everyone should read this book. 7 Habit From Sean Covey. :)

19. greghughes1985

greghughes1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've read this book called Do Over by Matt Theriault. He speaks a bit like Tim Robbins and really good at motivating and helping people on how to start over in life.

20. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tess of D'ubervilles by Thomas Hardy and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain

I know these are now movies but our school require them to be read i was still in grade school. They tell about Religion and Racism and etc..
    These books are controversial during their time. :D

• Like Like x 1