Obama Pitches for Ideas and Cash

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Taken from this news article.

If you ask me, I had doubts as to whether President elect Obama is good or wise enough to run the world's biggest economy - the US. He's credibility as a leader was also put in question when his selected Treasury Secretary-designate Tim Geithner had some non-payment of tax issues.

But upon reading today's news, my opinion on Mr Obama has just gone up a notch. Just gone up a notch and not a mile, mind you, since I still think that appointing a tax-evader as Treasury Secretary and standing by him even when the news broke out, is a pretty bad decision.

How about you? What do you think of his administration's use of the internet to gather ideas as to how to better govern and resolve issues in the US?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it shows his willingness to believe that people can contribute excellent ideas outwith the government corridors. He aims to keep in touch with the common man, that's clear and he's making the best uses of the resources available to him.

At http://change.gov/ you can go and add any ideas to the Citizen's Briefing Book. You can also tell your story.

Think how much it would have cost him to employ a research group to gather that information by going door-to-door and how long. The information would be useless and outdated by the time it was collated. This way he has the immediacy of the net on his side for reading and responding plus a very fast way of finding out the public's perception of him and the decisions he makes. There are already a number of responses by top officials there to the best ideas. He's showing that he takes seriously what the public has to say.

Geithner is a non-issue in my mind and it says more about the people running the background checks/vetting procedures than Obama himself. Is he supposed to stand over every single government employee and double check their work like a school teacher? That can't be expected. It's already been said it was an oversight and I believe that because Geithner could pull that kind of money out of his wallet like loose change if he wanted to. He's not exactly destitute.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From Change.gov, it's good to see that revitalizing the economy is at the top of the next administration. After that, is the ending of the war in Iraq and other agenda. :)

There are already a lot of ideas and advice given as to how to revitalize the economy - more than 7000 ideas at the time of this writing. There were all sorts of advice like taxing coffee and building tents under every bridge in anticipation for an increase of homeless people in the US.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It sometimes happen that you form image of an person in your mind judging him on the one single parameter on which he/she didn't live upto your expectations which is not a good practice...
    It is true that Treasury Secretary-designate Tim Geithner had some non-payment of tax issues but it doesn't means that he will prove a bad Treasury Secretary, he may had some reasons behind it..Moreover a designation also brings in a sense of responsibility in a person he is sure to realize...Obama as president had taken the best decision which we could not realize because our constraint of knowing Tim Geithner as a person which Obama knows better than anyone else could....
    For eg. a person bad in studies doesn't means he is also bad in handling management matters related to conferences or study workshop too....

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh no, my opinion on Tim Geithner hasn't changed one bit Scifi. I still strongly believe that someone who is the Treasury Secretary shouldn't have any tax payment issues, whether it's intentional or unintentional. Mr Geithner has also already admitted that it's his fault and that it was unintentional but this doesn't change the fact. And I still think that it's a bad decision by President Obama to stick by Mr Geithner even after these issues surfaced.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. My opinion doesn't change the fact too that Mr Timothy Geithner is now the Secretary of the Treasury in the cabinet of U.S. President Barack Obama. :)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've read some comment that Obama has not been making as much use of the Internet, now that he has been elected. I'm glad to see from that article that he is still making an effort to communicate with the public, through the web / email.

7. ailema000

ailema000
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think his a person who thinks for the goodness of people thats y he is thinking of money matters