Now's the time for perfect recall

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Given the state of the economy worldwide, redundancy is an ever growing threat to anyone that's not self-employed. I'm old enough to remember the recession in the UK when staff would turn up for work only to find the gates locked and chained and no way to get in. Now's the time to update that CV (resume) while you can still remember any dates of courses or training you took in house and if not, you still have the opportunity to find out via your desk diary, memos or Human Resources.

I'd advise you if you have any paperwork or certificates in your office you may need relating to your qualifications or appraisals etc. to ensure you at least have a copy of it at home. It can be very hard to recall specifics of exactly when you attended something, what was covered in a long ago training session, prove what was noted in your appraisals or any in house qualifications attained once your access to the information is restricted.

Once you start looking you'll find information on courses you forgot you'd attended because you've never used it. You still have that knowledge though, and it deserves to be on that resume. For example I have Minicom training which I've never used in my life but I've done it so it's there. When I did my own a number of years ago when redundancies were being rumored, it doubled what I had listed under training.

It's a worthwhile exercise in my opinion not only if you need to look for another job, but if you have to apply for your own. That can and does happen - when redundancies are imminent, a favorite ploy of some companies is to ask you to prove why you should stay on staff, are an asset to the company or such like.

Be ready! And I hope you never need it.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the useful tips Kay. It's always good to have a CV ready and up to date. You never know when an excellent opportunity might present itself and it is great to be prepared.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome! :D And that's absolutely true.

I should also have mentioned it's good to keep up with references as well as referees. If an old boss gave you one then moved to another job for instance, it's worth finding his new contact details in case that very opportunity comes up like you say and you need to give his information to the potential employer so they can check up on it.

4. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Kay for the tips. I always make sure that my CV is always up to date, cuz I will always think that whatever opportunity will arrive, at least I am ready and prepared.:)

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also remember reading an article in the past saying that we should always keep our resumes up to date. I'm lucky because I've just updated my resume a couple of months back when I started working on a new job. I've attended a few seminars since that time so I guess it's also time to update it again. Thanks for the timely reminder Kay.

It might also be good to change your objectives or goals in your CV because it might also have changed since that last update.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

CV's are not only required for job applications. I recently applied for a part-time business training programme and an up to date CV was required as part of the application.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't know that Fergal. I would have thought that a application letter would have sufficed in applying for a part-time business training programme.

Anyway, CVs are generally used when applying for a job. A well-written CV will not just improve your chances of getting a job and at the same time it will also help the HR people in the initial selection process where they decide who doesn't meet their requirements - those that will not be interviewed.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's probably true in most situations, but this programme is a little different. It also includes some one to one business mentoring. Hence, the cost to run the course is quite high and they place more emphasis on the application process.

I previously worked with a multi-national company who revisited the CV's of their staff, when they had a promotion in mind. Decisions on who got the promotion were sometimes made on the basis of these CV's.

The most important objective when writing a CV is to help you secure an interview for the job. But it is also worth remembering that it may affect your future promotional opportunities, if you are successful in securing the job.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good for you, youbetcha! That's great.

Good point! I think it's wise to look the entire thing over, goals and all, anytime you're updating. And to keep a print copy or a spare on CD. I lost mine years ago because I had it stored just on my pc. It got cremated when lightning struck our house's phone lines. Who knew surge protectors don't make any difference if it strikes the phone lines? Everything was lost. That was one hard lesson to learn. Now I have both phone line surge protectors and do backups regularly.

Try remembering your CV without looking at it and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe they revisited the CV's to see how much they'd embellished them as well! ;) That course sounds great Fergal, any word back on it yet?

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I've been fortunate enough to get a place and the course has just started. So far so good!

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, how's the course going now you're a few weeks into it? Give us an update on what your thoughts on it are please when you have a spare moment. It sounded really positive to me. I'm nosy, what can I say. :)

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for asking Kay, so far so good. Some of the content is very useful and practical, e.g. one day on project management. Some of the content is not so useful and a bit theoretical, e.g. a day on Market Research.

The most useful part of the course for me is that it helps me some apply some discipline to my project. Life is busy at the minute, but through attending the course I've been spending more and more time focusing on this particular project. The course is on one day per week, and it has given me the motivation to move a little bit forward every week.

All I need now is a bit more focus, passion and clarity on my vision - not much really :)