Not sure where to Start....opening a fishing/rental charter business please help

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by nativeladywaters, May 26, 2015.

1. nativeladywaters

nativeladywaters
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure if I should start the legal process by making my business a SP or SMLLC? I don't own much at all and live very simply. The business will be multifaceted with a lot of liability I guess. I am taking people out on the water, there is risk of injury, especially during my surf lessons. I will have each member sign a liability waiver before any activity or charter but is this enough. Being that I don't own much should I even worry about any of this? I don't have much money and need low start up cost but don't want to regret making a decision only from a lack of knowledge. So I would love to read your opinions.
    Thanks

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Get in touch with your local authorities and a business attorney in your area to find out what you need to have from a legal point of view. Because there is a risk of injury, you may need to have insurance, along with the liability waiver you now have. The liability waiver may not even be legal, with or without insurance. Make sure you are covered when, not if, something does happen. You also need to find out what licenses you need. Because you "don't own much", you should absolutely worry about this. You don't want to lose everything you have when something happens, and you don't have the protection you need.

• Like Like x 1
  3. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listen don't start any work until you have enough experience in the related stuff. its not only about money its also about someone's life. so start working for someone who deals with these type of stuff. when you think you have enough experience to do this thing then start your planning and your business as well, trust me you won''t fall. :D