Not sure about the sidebar....

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by fisicx, Mar 10, 2016.

1. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I'm happy with most of the site. Bounce is low, conversions OK, ranking is good and visitor numbers are increasing.

But there is always room for improvement. Other reviews have commented on the grey sidebar. I quite like the colour but as everyone knows (or should know) what you like is not always what your customers like.

So comments and suggestions would be welcome.

http://aerin.co.uk/

Ta

Graham

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

What kind of comments have you received? It's a good contrast, which makes it stand out from the rest of the page without being "in your face". It also coordinates with the same color on the footer. I don't see a problem with it at all.

3. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

The comment was:

My thoughts were to make it a lighter shade so it not so intrusive. I spend a lot of time experimenting with colours and this shade does seem to work but the comment was from a designer not a developer.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Did s/he tell you why it should not "stand out like that"?You also said "reviews". What other comments have you received? It didn't distract me at all, based on the size and colour of your font in the content, and the white background. Knowing the "why" behind the "what" would help you decide whether to change it or not. If it bothers you, go ahead and try a lighter shade, but the visitors are the ones that you should really be concerned about.

5. yupstrips

yupstrips
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For optimal performance make sure sidebar and pusher are direct ... I am not sure how a single DIV tag between the BODY and the SIDEBAR.

6. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I liked it too. Not too intrusive but the color made you notice the sidebar without being overwhelming.

On a related note in case you haven't used it: I found the best split tester software that I have seen before called optimizely.com. It's great because you can change colors, text, etc all without having two different versions of code on your webpage. You just stick a piece of Javascript in your website header. Then you go and use their editor that is looking at your website and you can just click an element and change it. Then Optimizely will create the backend Javascript to change the element on the fly. So the only actual coding changes you make are after you have split tested and determined the winner. I thought that was pretty slick.