Norton's Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Eminenz CW, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I bought a Norton utilities upgrade online on the Norton website. I downloaded the file and ran a virus scan on it with 2 online multi virus scan engines. Both multi scan engines picked up Trojans. Phoned Norton about this and they assured me it was safe, and that I probably got a false positive reading. I am still afraid to run the file and would like to know if there is a way I can be absolutely sure that it does not contain a virus?

2. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why would you scan a file that you downloaded from Norton? That doesn't make any sense to begin with.

If you want to scan your computer for viruses and malware, I suggest you download the free version of Malwarebytes program from Malwarebytes.org. Update it and do a full scan. If you have any malware or viruses on your computer, it will find them. Once you are sure your computer is clean, then go ahead and install the Norton that you purchased.

3. sanjuk61

sanjuk61
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would not recommend this to anyone. I have had more issues come from this anti-virus that it fixes....

4. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i don't like this anti virus i would recommened kaspersky

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What is it about Norton that you don't like Sprinkles?

6. Deem Host

Deem Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have used this anti virus but i didn't like that at all,so i recommend ESET SMART Security.

7. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats not unusual, you could have that happen with any commercial anti-virus software, simply because if it spots a file extension, or some code hidden within code, it will flag it as harmful, because it doesn't know what it is, not necessarily because it is harmful.

I stopped using Norton because it is too invasive, I found I was spending more time telling it that files were Ok, than I was actually using my Laptop, it has just too many parameters for people like me editing coded.

I would suggest AVG, it's up to date, unobtrusive and lets you work while it works, you can even set it to incubate files.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't like Norton mainly because it takes up a lot of space and loads slower in my PC. Try other anti-virus like Avast, NOD32, Kaspersky, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebluesector

thebluesector
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use Avast! Antivirus.

10. helloii

helloii
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i personally do not like that antivirus ,,,,, makes pc slow good to go with kaspersky

11. mobilejammer

mobilejammer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very Bad antivirus.It's hang's computer.

12. Guitarhermit

Guitarhermit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was using Kaspersky pure before I asked a friend in the computer software department of life and he suggested using Microsoft Security Essentials. Apparently it's the best free software around, basically comparable to Kaspersky Pure. Been using MSC ever since and have had no problems with my computer :)

13. sadiyakhan

sadiyakhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Norton AntiVirus is widely used for scaning of pc and ultimate PC protection that hundreds into a pc's memory and facilitate defend it from pc viruses and alternative malware that might harm knowledge. several OEM compaines like Dell can begin trial versions of McAfee or alternative antivirus programs to assist lower the general price of the pc to the buyer.

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hate Norton...Since the day I have stopped Norton and started using other Antivrus.( Micrososft Security Essentials ) I feel that my computer is more safe now...

15. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the antivirus programs detect a non infected file as virus. I had this problem with AVG. So, I prefer going with Avast or Nod32.

16. Timsmith

Timsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sir its not correct thing to download files from the NORTON website but otherwise anti-virus of norton is a good and trusted anti-virus it will really secure your system from viruses.

17. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sir I think their is n need to download files from norton website because its not a right step and also i think that norton anti-virus is not good because its an heavy anti-virus which results in slowing down the speed of your system and secondly some times it delete those files which are virus affected its not a good activity because some files are important also, so i suggest you to buy some other anti-virus like AVG or AVIRA and so on.

18. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please do not go for duplicate versions, buy norton anti virus from official website then only you can get full security from the company.

19. Aiplabro

Aiplabro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If i really want to say anything about this then i would like to say that i don't like Norton antivirus.

20. shaadisankalp45

shaadisankalp45
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for share this discussion.