Non-Profit Start up Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Chrisj0401, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got no idea really how to do this sort of... but I have a strong passion for my non-profit organization project to out live my life and be life.

www.EducationAppreciation.org; would explain what it is. What should I do? I don't got or want to invest tooo much cash into a non-profit, I just want to run the company. I know I need to get a 501 official status from IRS but how and how much? Any advice is welcomed!

2. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can read more about starting a non-profit organization here: How to Start a 501 Non-Profit Organization -||- Guidelines and Resources.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What are your objectives for it Chris? Are you looking for ways to raise funds so that you can finance the activity of your non-profit?

I'd suggest speaking to an Accountant regarding the 501 and the IRS. Many accountants will give their first consultation free of charge, hopefully the fact that you are a non-profit might also help you with this. An initial meeting may be all you need to get clarification on exactly what you need to do and it would also give you a valuable contact for the future.

4. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris, I'd suggest that your next step is to write a business plan for your project. Don't let the thoughts of writing a business plan scare you. You really can achieve a lot by spending a couple of hours writing your plan, based on a business plan template. Write the first draft of your plan for your eyes only, in other words keep it as realistic as possible and don't concern yourself about how it would read to anyone else. This first draft of a business plan can give you a lot of clarification as to how you want to move your non-profit forward and what action you need to take in order to get the resources you need to achieve your objectives.

You can find links to some great business plan templates in the Business Plan Templates section of our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

Does that sound like something that might work for you?

6. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, after I write it what are the next steps?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Writing a business plan will help you to clarify where you want to take the organisation and what the next steps are to get there.

The next steps to do what?

8. ava_camen

ava_camen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the next steps after doing the business plan, I want to get some funding and I got no clue how to officially do that, do I need to be officially a 501 to start receiving funding right away? Is getting the 501 cost anything?

Also I looked into the SCORE business plan template and it seems to me its really made for a for-profit organization instead of a non-profit. I wish I had some people to help me on this like getting estimates on numbers on how much things cost.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What I'd suggest is that you contact local funding organisations in your area. Arrange to meet them and give them a brief overview of your project. Ask if they can fund a project like yours and then ask them about their application requirements. If a particular organisation say that they can't help you, ask if they can recommend funders who could potentially work with a project like yours. Keep researching funders and contacting them until you find someone that you can work with.

That shouldn't really matter to be honest, you can still use the template for a non-profit organisation. You just won't be showing any profits. Is there anything in particular about that template that makes you believe it won't work for you?

The easiest way to get estimates on how much things cost is to phone up suppliers and ask them for their prices or ask them to give you a quote. There are members here who would be delighted to help you with any questions you have and you might also consider contacting an accountant, like I mentioned in a post above.

11. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did some more research on all the necessary things I need to do, and it's not cheap to make my organization official. I just more into being the "Leader" not the business guy in this really, I want to be the business guy for my for-profit companies. But I'll do whatever it takes honestly to get this off the ground just because I have that passion to deliver my message to the world.

I tried finding any agencies but they tend to require cash, how do I find a legit funding agent without paying them? I tried google, but they all end up asking to pay for products.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country or state are you based in Chrisj0401?

You're right to avoid those sites that ask you to pay for the info, genuine funding agencies will never ask you to do that.

13. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usa/pa............

well they wanted me to join their site to randomly be chosen for funding... like a yearly membership like many non-profits do, just I can't afford that I rather put the money into my organization and other business ventures.