Non-Disclosure Agreement

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by houstonVijai, Feb 25, 2010.

1. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know this section is headlined as Free Business Advice and New Ideas. I am not sure how the idea posted in this forum is covered under copying and taking ownership. Thats the biggest concern in this web world.

Many people just share their ideas and just wait to see its being copied and used by somebody. Unless you have a patent against you cannot do anything. So my recommendation, try to be wary of sharing any idea which you things is worth some dollars. Obviously, if you don't share it you won't attract enough interest to get some investors. THats where NDA comes to play. You can ask the person to sign a general NDA agreement to bind them for not using or sharing your idea to anyone for certain period. That will help avoid any copycats.

I like to hear thoughts on this one.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An NDA is a good idea for anyone with a business idea that they would not like disclosed publicly. On the other hand many people over estimate the importance and value of their ideas.

There are lots of ideas out there. What differentiates the successful business person from the not so successful one, is how they implement ideas, not the ideas themselves. If you are too precious about your idea and don't communicate it to at least some people, then in all probability it will remain just that - an idea.

3. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree to your point if it is not shared then it won't have a chance. THats what I mentioned previously, you have to share your idea but be sure to know whom you share it. If you don't know the person, it is better always to have a NDA signed. If you trust the person, then you are ok.

If somebody is sharing their idea in this forum, are they covered tomorrow by any legal stuff? What iff somebody steal their idea from here and implement it. Thats what I am trying to explain.

4. bistones

bistones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it`s unnecessary to have a NDA signed at BAF, it sounds very strange. I think you can choose an private talk to avoid being copied.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

tmvijai BAF is a public forum and the topics posted here can be viewed by members and non-members. Anyone from any country, with access to the Internet can read what you post here. Nothing you post here is covered by any confidentiality agreement or NDA. You might want to have a look at our disclaimer, link in my signature.

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whenever you post or talk about ideas in public you run the risk of someone taking the idea on board and moving forward with it on their own. That is just a risk of having ideas. If you have an idea that you truly think will make you money then you either move forward with it and just ask smaller relevant questions, or don't ask for any help.

Forums are not the place to discuss business ideas if you are worried about them being copied. The problem about discussing things on forums is that anyone can read them and potentially you will just not know your ideas have been copied until it is too late and someone else puts a patent on your original ideas.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sean raises a good point regarding patents. In Ireland you can not get a patent for your idea, if your idea has been put into the public domain.

For example, if you came up with a new invention and put details of that invention on a website, you would not be entitled to a patent (even if you could prove the invention was your own) because you had put the idea into the public domain, before applying for a patent. The law may be different in your own country.

Source.

8. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess you guys misunderstood about my intention. I am really saying that I want to sign NDA with BAF or looking for one. I was trying to share with others that exposing the idea in a public forum has a potential to copy and misuse your idea. So be wary of sharing.

As Fergal pointed out, this public forum is to share and don't have any copyright protection against any material shared in this forum. So people who share any ideas should be aware of it and shouldn't hope for it to be secure.

I also hear the point from others that if the idea is so good you better not talk to anybody or talk in private. Yes thats one media of communication. But the thing is Internet has exploded in the past few years and you never know that your idea is good or bad until you share to outside world and find out whether it is alright out there somewhere before you spend all your money and life. It is a CATCH 22 and the person who has the idea has to take decision whether you want to take chance or not.

Thanks all for sharing.. keep the thoughts coming...