Newsflash: not all gurus are that great.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love this quote and have had it in my collection for many years. I think the advice there is just as applicable in business as it is in life.

There are so many experts around, so many business gurus giving conflicting advice, each saying their way is the only right way. What's a person to do?

I'd say you need to go with your instincts. If it's useful, take it on board. If what you're doing is working just fine and running smoothly, then why change for the sake of change? That doesn't help you move forward, especially if the "new improved" way turns out to be inferior.

The best expert on your business is you. Keep that in mind and you'll not go far wrong. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would agree with that. What I would add is that if things are not working out for you, ask yourself why. Then try doing something differently and see how that works out. Use the results you are getting as feedback to make changes in your thoughts or actions. If you keep trying you will get there eventually.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A guru is just like a teacher and a mentor. No matter how good or brilliant they are, they're still human beings and are prone to errors. Aside from that, we should also look at their background to see where they're coming from. There are a lot of self-styled gurus out there who's main interest is not about you and your business but their pockets instead.

I also have to say that making decisions shouldn't be done just base on the advice of gurus, not matter how good they are. Who's the person who's most concerned about your well-being, your financials and your business? It's definitely not the guru but it's you yourself. So when making decisions, don't just make them based on advice from gurus and mentors. Instead, make them if you're able to justify to yourself that this is the best course of action that you needed to take.

4. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most gurus are not gurus... they are people who can't actually succeed at what they are talking about, so they preach the methods that they never could capitalize on. As one saying goes "If you don't succeed in art, teach."

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a different school of thought here..what GURUS might try to convey through their AXIOMS & Principles, it may not be perceived by the general public in the same way..
    I mean to say to be more precise, there may be difference between delivery of talk, its reception & its perception.
    Otherwise we should try to look for the thing that is best for us in the principles & should try to implement the same in our own way so as to get benefited from it..

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're quire right in this Flashgordonweb. Most gurus are not even qualified to be gurus in their respective fields so we should check on their background first before consulting them.

If they can't deliver their message across to the common man then I don't think that they should be called gurus, right? They might be geniuses in their fields but if they can't convey their ideas to the rest of us, then they don't have any business teaching.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We should look from a different angle here.. It is not that Gurus can convey their message, it is we those can't understand them.... Moreover there can be many who also understand their message & also gets result out of them,,,..If you will remember u'r school days, you will notice that we could not grasp everything that our teachers tried to taught us...
    May be we were not intelligent enough then to understand them..
    Good words are for everybody But it is more rightly to say it here that it gives good results also to people who deserve good understanding of them too..!!!

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, scifi, we don't always grasp what's being said but we'd still have believed it to be right simply because it was coming from the mouth of a teacher, would we not?

That's the point I'm making. We shouldn't take someone's word as gospel and accept it blindly. The best teachers (and bosses) I've ever had were the type of ones who actively encouraged you to speak up and debate points with them if you didn't think what they were saying was right or made sense. They wanted you to think for yourself and not just agree with something because they said it was so.

It's hard to stretch your thinking and be innovative if it's kept within the confines of someone else's parameters. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do agree that we shouldn't blindly accept everything we are told by so called experts, gurus or trainers. However, it is worth remembering that there are lots of people who are very good at doing things but are not necessarily good at teaching others how to do them.

In the same vain there are some very good teachers and trainers who can explain things very well, even though they are not themselves very successful at the activity.

An example that comes to mind is Lance Armstrong. Lance had a coach for many years that he relied very heavily on and that he praised very highly in his books, crediting him with turning round his carer. His coach, Chris Carmichael, was a professional cyclist himself but never reached anything like the levels of success that Armstrong achieved. Yet Armstrong was able to learn from him and become a much better cyclist because of his input.

Another example would be Roy Keane. He was recognised as one of the world's best soccer players, when he played for Manchester United and the Republic of Ireland. However his football management / coaching role at Sunderland FC was relatively short lived as the team he picked, coached and trained performed dismally in the English premier league.

Roy Keane is an example of someone who was brilliant at what he did but performed poorly when coaching others. Chris Carmichael is an example of someone who was not so brilliant at what he did, yet was a fantastic coach to one of the world's top athletes.

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

KAY , I would like to say here that though we may not be intelligent enough to understand GURU's words but I have never said that their every word is correct.
    What I would like to say here is that we should develop our own understanding from the concept( GURU) & then go on elaborating the same after proper analyzation in our own benefit!!
    Guru can just show us the path he thinks is correct for us & then leave it to us to decide; from there onwards as also evident from eg. given by Fergal..(i.e. our input is necessary to achieve success.)
    We have the path & ways but to follow them or not solely depends on us..

#10 scifi, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope, you didn't, that's true. Sorry if it came across that I was saying you did because that wasn't my intention. I was just making an observation that it's human nature to trust implicitly the word of those we see as authoritative figures, from our parents onwards, especially when we're young.

Yes, that's what I was saying. 100% agree. :)

Very good point, Fergal. There's a whole different skill set involved in being able to get your ideas across in an engaging way and for them to be remembered long afterwards. Presentation style and confidence go a long long way in attracting and holding a group's attention.

I can still see my history teacher dashing around the room dressed as Rob Roy. :D He was a hoot and made a subject I detested one year into a favorite the next because I was in his class. Not the most traditional of teaching methods but he was memorable as were his lessons. The difference was his passion for the subject and his ability to convey that along with the knowledge.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good for him, inspirational teachers are a treasure.

I doubt you'd see too many of them, South of your border :)

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL true, but it was fun all the same. I think he was a frustrated actor because he once came in with a gold laurel wreath on his head too (I think that's what you call them!) when we were studying Rome. He must have thought he wouldn't get away with a toga! :D Where he got all the props he'd use I'll never know because they definitely weren't standard issue.

14. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How true.. especially when I think of the over hyped Arbitrage conspiracy product that almost every IM is talking about.

I haven't seen it, nobody has actually. So I can't comment on what's inside, but the free report is just CPA 101, nothing special. And the guy claims to make 50k-100k a day. I mean it sounds too good to be true.

Even if he is making 1k (which is way too low from what he says, but still an extremely good amount for most of us), it all comes down to how he can teach?

If he is good at teaching things, then I'm sure people will look after products he launches promising just $100 a day. If it's the other way round, I highly doubt this one is going to be successful as well. :confused:

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My favorite teacher of all time wasn't my eloquent English teacher. It also wasn't my Algebra and basic Calculus teacher who has photographic memory and can even remember every page and topic of our books. It also wasn't that cute teacher with the well-toned body we had in PE classes. My favorite teacher of all time was my secondary Social Studies teacher who told us at the beginning of the term that we shouldn't just take whatever she says as the truth. We should always check and see for ourselves if what she says is true or not. This is because even though she's a teacher, she is still human and therefore, prone to mistakes.

At that very early age, I've learned this very important lesson. Our gurus, teachers, parents and even nation's leaders are all still human beings so they'll still make mistakes from time to time.

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd also like to add and reinforce Kay's statement that teaching should be a two-way street. It shouldn't be just the teacher or guru talking while the students listen and take notes. Even though the gurus have the proper qualification and experience, they should encourage the students to ask questions and debate the subject matter if necessary.

In the process of learning, there are a lot of assumptions out there. Sadly, most of them are wrong assumptions so if we just continue to assume without asking, then we'll be at the losing end. If there's a gap in our knowledge especially in business, into that gap will fall our money and our business fails.