New website thoughts and concerns

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by rome211, Feb 22, 2012.

1. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I am new to this website, but it looks very interesting and useful. Pretty much the basics about what I am trying to do is start up a new online gaming league for games such as Counter-strike, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2, ect. I have been working on this project for quite some time now and we are just now starting to get to the development stage of the website. There will be many features for the website such as statistics for games played, tournaments, regular seasons, special events, live support, and many other features. But I am wondering what time of cost range am I looking at from the design to the development?

We are also working on an Anti-cheat system that will help further prevent cheaters into the environment. Starting off we wont be looking to have the best anti-cheat system out there but we want something that we can start off with and update easily. If anyone knows anything about this I would greatly appreciate some helpful information about this also.

Thank you for your time

Also the anti-cheat system will check users computer for malicious activity during gameplay and also take screen shots during gameplay at random intervals.

Also for the website the best example I can show you is www.thesgl.com it will have different graphics and different features but this website will have a lot of the same qualities as I am looking for.

#1 rome211, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a pretty big project you are working on. What I want to know is that is it all coded and programmed by you/your team or are you buying some scripts?

3. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Shahrier,

Yes this is by far the biggest project I have ever taken on from scratch. Right now I don't have a team to program/code anything. I was looking to put a team together to do this, but I decided to buy everything. Plus finding the right team to do such a big project was difficult not many people wanted to take on the challenge.

4. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is your current budget and who's on your team? I can tell that a website like that is going to cost
    a lot of money from a development standpoint. Also, the anti-cheat system sounds pretty cool, but I'm
    sure you know a lot about gamers and how they love to have their computers optimized for performance.
    A system like the one you've explained would be running in the background and snapping screenshots
    which could interfere with live gameplay. You don't want to make your anti-cheat program very system
    intensive. Are you going to have the players submit their gameplay footage after each match? That'd
    probably be an easier way to monitor cheating in the league. You've got a very cool idea going here
    because the professional gaming market is definitely growing, but I can already tell it's going to be
    tough to pull off from a development standpoint. Just don't give up, it'll be rewarding in the long run.

5. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well so far I have been quoted for a fully custom league gaming website at $6,000 from a company that has coded a few online gaming leagues already. I am looking not to go over $20,000 before launching the company. I am figuring around 600-700 for the website design. I have been playing games online for about 9 years now and just want to give back to the community what I think will be a great league to participate in. My team right now consist of retired gamers, there are 3 of us that have played in high level competition and lan tournaments, but none know how to design, code, or program just shoot people in the face pretty good. As for the anti-cheat as you said gamers are all about their FPS and game play that is why I have waited to find the right team to design the anti-cheat because it can't be done poorly. How the anti-cheat will function won't affect the gamers latency or game play if done correctly. How we have it set up is every match, pug, scrim play in the network will automatically be recorded and sent directly to the website for players or staff to view if needed. As I said before I have not posted on a forums before regarding this so I thank everyone for their questions, comments, and concerns.

Also looking into the legal matter if anyone knows, if we are charging a monthly fee for participating in the league will we have to get contracts from the game distributors allowing us to do this?

6. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think you would need to secure any contracts from the game companies as long as you say the monthly fees are for the gaming league and its services and not to play the game. I think $20,000 would be a very solid start to get a gaming league off the ground, just make sure you save a portion of that for the prizes that players will be competing for and your league will end up doing all of the marketing for itself. Good prizes attract good players. You definitely made the right move to come and ask about your startup on these business forums because I'm sure you'll end up getting a lot of great advice.

7. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright, well I have talked with a few of the tournament directors from each game company to basically get the support for their game in the league. The more support we get the easier I think it will be. To answer your question yes the 20k also includes the start-up prize money for a few months.

8. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let me make summary:

Begin with $20, 000 and you have going to spent $6,000 for design. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd are cost another ($6000, estimate $3000, $2000, $1000), so you only left $8000 for anti-cheat, security, hosting bandwidth, data update.

The possible maintenance fee are SQL and SSL. (SQL is the places to store gamer data, SSL to make sure the data encrypt during data transfer to server.)

If the online game is web base, mostly will be flash. Flash have the worst security. If it is application base, .net, java, or objective c, others. Application based, much more safer. Advise to check around, what is the major tool to hack game, from there we can make general prevention. (E.g. Piaip, Reaper-X)

Someone need to keep monitor score to avoid cheat value. I not sure the design package is include with implement of security question or encryption of data. 8000 for balance task is not enough, you may out of budget.

9. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree, if this project is to be build from the scratch then it would require many man hours and at least couple thousand bucks.

10. Bournemouth

Bournemouth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Things like this aint very intensive, but the main concern you should have is people knowing how to cheat without being caught, how do you catch out AIMBOT's which are being run as Administrator, and Counter-Strike being run as Guest? since your application will have no access rights on reading memory in the administration area.

11. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Patrick0001,

We have though of starting off with a very simple anti-cheat client that will pretty much only take screen shots of in game material. To minimize cost in that department and then have a team work on the client after to update and hopefully turn the anti-cheat into a very good client to minimize cheating period. We also have a backup plan in case we would not have enough funds to develop an anti-cheat which would be start the league off with games that wouldn't require an anti-cheat from us such as League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Dota 2, ect. Hopefully during my search I will be able to find certain trustworthy people who will come on board with me and help either build the website or help with the anti-cheat for a % of the company. Not many people like to do that and I understand, but I would also pay them just not the full amount and also give them a portion of the company to make up for the additional funds and updates.

SQL, SSL, and security will be the problem I see if we are coming up short on the budget. If anything I will wait to gain a better budget to fully launch the company.

12. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

rome211,
    I think you have a really great idea and that you should go for it. It sounds like it's a very important project for you and you're highly motivated, that's exactly what you need when you approach large projects like this. I have a feeling in my gut that says you're going to make this one work out. Don't worry about things like web hosting and bandwidth because those costs are very minimal in terms of what you're doing. I'd try to get some support from the gaming leagues that are already established, like you said, and see if you can work in maybe a satellite tournament where the winner gets a seat at a big-name tournament. It happens like this in the poker world and works out great. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help you out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree that, for the bandwidth and hosting issue, we can grow the number of bandwidth and hosting issue as per gamer size.

rome211, you have a great idea but missing a technical person to monitor project. Usually trustworthy people is through friend or family members, if you still cant source the right person, you yourself must begin to learn programming.

If you can make the first project as open source, it will be more easy to get public volunteer to participate the project. Through first project experience, I am sure you have lesser problem to run second project.

14. rome211

rome211
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Patrick,

Can you be a little bit more specific as to what you mean by making the first project as open source and for the second project. Do

15. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which mean, disclose the project source code to let people download. When more people use the code, more people facing bug, and more people contribute to fix bug.

http://sourceforge.net/directory/games/os:windows/freshness:recently-updated/ (Some of the open source game relate project)

In short you collect technologies and bugs in first project, when goes to second project you no need to disclose to public. First project is more like a R&D, 2nd project is final selling product.

16. Sunny

Sunny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow!!! One more gamers site. I just love it. Would it be free or paid. I mean people can play games live there fore free or it would be just upload and download after payment.
    Btw make your website user-friendly coz some sites loose users due to confusing navigation.

Your 2nd site concept is not clear to me.

Anyway, best of luck.

17. webdesigningukco

webdesigningukco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our company provides variety of website platforms such as html/css or flash, wordpress, joomla and php both for informational and e-commerce website uses. By using modern, accessible, and standard website designing methods, we can create all our websites from scratch using the client’s ideas and sketches. Web Designing UK can make a big difference in your businesses online through a great looking custom designed website.for more detail please visit us at webdesigninguk.co
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Website Design in London