New Website Design

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by JamesD31, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK, so I am working on a new design for my web hosting company, the first question I want to ask: if you are looking for a website designer, would you be more impressed and willing to go with someone with a more elaborate, unqiue design, or a nice, clean, simple, web 2.0 type design?

Here is a link to the unfinished design of the new template I was working on http://creatings.fgdesigns.net/v7/

What are your first impressions? To much?

I wanted to give it like a futuristic look, so as if you were on a ship or something of that sort, at the bottom will be a "holographic generator" that will "shoot up" the information. After reading that, does it make more sense? All feedback is welcomed, I can stop now and work on a nice simplistic design if that is a better course of action.

EDIT: here is another design that you can compare, completely different feel and style - which do you like better? http://creatings.fgdesigns.net/v8/

#1 JamesD31, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

JamesD31..

I like the first one with the black color. It looks more professional and it looks like the way you want to make it. Just one thing, it takes too long to load here but may be from my side only or because it is still not finished.

So, when it is completely ready and online, make sure it does not take too much time to load.
    otherwise, I like it very much.
    Good Luck :)

3. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@hetal, thank you for the feedback. Well, I still don't know which design to go too - I have been working on the newest design (v8) tonight and got everything pretty much done with that. Also, if I choose to stick with that v7 design, yes it has a large image in it - which is bad and would be fixed of course.

Also, another question for you, if you were looking for a website designer, what information would you want to see right away - aka on the home page.

4. hetal_387

hetal_387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First I will check his clientele and portfolio so that I get rough idea web design company's capability, than I will read some client testimonials.

Then I will check it's reputation in Web design industry because I will not give my project to a company which is still doing experiments with web design projects..

Than I would check whether a web designer company provides following things or not?

* SEO friendly web design
    * Customize web design
    * Flash based web design
    * Industry Specific Web Design
    * E commerce website design And Shopping Cart (Optional)
    * Website redesign

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on the market you are targeting. I tend to be looking for business so the second option would work better for me and my clients. However I also deal with a music producer and artists who are looking for very creative personal branding sites to whom the first black site would probably appeal.

With a web designer I look for what they know beyond design & whether they just design templates or develop sites as well. SEO basics and whether they use an SEO friendlly platform. What the ongoing costs will be - hosting, & maintenance. Whether they offer full handover training in the site or whether I am beholden to them to make every change on the site.

I also look to see whether I can get an idea of what I could expect to pay (some examples / testimonials).

6. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well thank you both deeply for very full feedback and information. Really does open up my mind to what others are thinking rather than just my ideas and thoughts. The design debate is exactly that, I feel that it showcases a nicer, more creative design (the first, black, one) but it might push away "older" and calmer individuals in a different industry.

I think I will work with the second design, since it seems to be more versatile, but I have ideas for the black design as well - but can do that later on. In regards to information, would pricing on the website be necessary? I never have, and hardly see the majority of design firms put their pricing online - or are they mostly hooked up with the testimonials?

I have the homepage pretty much done to how I want it to look, eventually I will have small flash showcase thing near the top, but since I need to finish the website, I just took that out for now.

Also, I am coming up with, what I think, is a smart and nice feature to implement for my clients. Would having a fully-functional client login area be smart? So, the clients can make payments, see screenshots, communicate with the staff this way?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I'm not a fan of sites that have light text on a dark background, hence I much prefer your second design. The links in the footer of the black site are so difficult to read that they could almost be classed as hidden links - not a good thing for SEO as it could get you penalised by the search engines.

When I visit a website designer's site the first thing I do is take a view as to whether their own site is professionally designed. I'm not going to be encouraged to do business with a designer, if I don't like the design of their site or if I see that they are using a template that they have not designed themselves. Next thing I look at is their portfolio, to get an understanding of the professionalism of the work they have done before. If they have done good quality work in the past, I am much more likely to contact them for my own design requirements.

Including a postal address and phone number is also good, because it gives prospective customers confidence that you are legitimate and that you are not likely to scam them from their money.

Good luck with it!

8. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi James,

I much prefer the second design and I think that it has some pretty cool features. However I would make your telephone number in the top right hand corner stick out a lot more and get the text proofread professionally.

9. Doblo7

Doblo7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - I am going to give a bit of a politicians answer here I'm afraid but this is my humble opinion. Personally I prefer the first design however the second is more likely to appeal to the 'public' in general as it appears clearer and easier to read....That being said, people would most likely go for a supplier who ticks the boxes they are looking for so if you get someone on your site looking for a more unique site they'll prefer the first design and likelwise people looking for a more traditional look prefer the 2nd.
    I think the only thing to remember is you can't please all the people, all the time. Just go with what you are happy with and as long as you can be found by search engines and have good content with maybe a good portfolio that is as good as you can get.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I liked the second design more. Maybe because of the color scheme. My eyes gets really tired on a dark bg with white text. The graphics are done good and more awesome than your first one.

I can only suggest to put the log-in form on the top fold so it can easily be seen. It's one of my problem before on a hosting site. I can't see their log-in form.

The first design slows slowly. If I'm not mistaken, it has flash, right?

11. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It isn't flash, it was a big image - I didn't realize the resolution of that background image until the first time I did it, hence why I would fix it later on. I was actually going to do a lot of cool little things that would be done all in HTML/CSS (and maybe some JavaScript).

Though, thank you guys for all of the feedback, I might relocate that login form once the site is actually done and I finish that client area. I will also try to make the phone at the top stand out more - I also have the phone in a number of places including the footer and will have it in the company information (obviously). Though, i will try to make it stand out. The Homepage is pretty much done, just got to add a few more graphics and than the rest of the pages should fall into place nicely.

EDIT: oh, another question, should I even bother with adding hosting as a service? Like, should I buy a reseller account and do that, or just leave that to actual companies, or even affiliate companies?

#11 JamesD31, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  12. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also like the second design, it looks more modern and professional. It also looks neat, the colors are fresh and hip looking. It has blog style look which is a popular style. thumbs up from me :D

13. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, glad you enjoy it. I am almost done with all of the pages now so I am hoping to have everything up and running soon - including the custom made WordPress style for the blog.

14. jetfuelcreative

jetfuelcreative
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey James

You're headed in the right direction!

Have you settled on your logo?

Regarding the designs... the second is a cleaner design, but you might want to get a little more color contrast going. Right now there's not much differentiation and contrast happening for you and I believe that might be working against you.

Also, this isn't a visual assessment, but you really want to make sure your code validates.

This could be because you are still developing the site, but currently you've got quite a few errors occurring in the code. This is also something to keep in mind because clients can, at times, evaluate you on your work based on multiple factors, including code validation.

I suggest you take a look at this link to run through the errors listed:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck!

15. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I know and understand the purpose and everything regarding validating your code. Though, seems that the validator can be stupid at times, as it is doing for the majority of the errors it is giving, especially with the ones about the li tags, saying there isn't a ul? which is completely false..

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Besides, some javascript codes can be mistaken as a bad coding.
    I have tried that one time and I can't even understand the results it gives.

17. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, so I do agree on having valid coding, though going to be fully strict and compliant with the W3 validator is crazy, especially when you your website looks fine and functions fine.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. That was I'm really thinking.
    But as long as the site loads fine and functions as you have expected it to, I do think there's nothing to worry about.

19. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first impression for me on your website was good, it really make me want to stay. Really like your website design except for one thing. The banner in the middle on the navigation bar is a bit too stretch? Other than this, everything is pretty well done.

20. OrangeLabel

OrangeLabel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

old style..
    why you dont use new web 2.0 style

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.