New laws for affiliate marketers ?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by simplyjo, Aug 28, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Friends,

I heard about some new laws , under process, for affiliate marketers. These laws would prohibit and landing page/sales page to be displayed without putting 'ADVERTISEMENT' at top of the page or any fake testimonials/reviews.

Anyone else heard of any such thing ?

If this happens, do you think sales would be affected ? I would surely think so. I mean, I tend to skip any page that reads 'advertisement' on top... So, why should I think other users won't ?

Please share your thoughts.

2. paperkool

paperkool
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've Never Head Of This Threat

There goes your soft sale. I wonder what country is employing this law. That is really unheard of but, of course you know there is all ways a work around something so ubsurd and ridiculous. Seriously, I heard that money will be soon out lawed. Everyone will have a number and we'll be trading plastic in the future. Life will still go on.

3. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i think this new is true ( even i read about it some ware )
    there is some affiliate marketers law in us

this kind of will not affect me nor any one ....it just safeguards the buyers

only people who will get affected are the who do this kind of stuff and scamers

4. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So this is a new law in the U.S. huh? Well I definitely won't be taking a jab at affiliate marketing anytime soon then. That is completely stupid if you ask me. In order for anyone to even make money, they have the consumer make the purchase. Which when they put in their credit card number or paypal information they know very well that they're going to be charged.

Will this affect affiliate sales? Yes, it will affect them tremendously. Why? Because the whole idea of a landing page is to make it your bread and butter for the sale. Make it intriguing to where the customers where want to submit there information and possibly purchase it. I know for a fact if there's big letters screaming at potential customers saying "THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT", that it will definitely stray a HUGE proportion of customers.

This is pretty unfortunate news if you ask me. A little unfair as well. Does anyone have a little more information on this new law?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jo, what country are you referring to?

Changes in affiliate laws in some US states have already resulted in Amazon no longer accepting affiliates from people who live in those states.

Personally I'd agree with the outlawing of fake reviews and testimonials. Many consumers base their purchase decisions around testimonials from previous customers. Posting fake reviews is dishonest and deceptive. Online consumers should be legally protected from that type of dishonest trading.

6. ZakShow

ZakShow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Posting fake reviews shouldn't be allowed as people base their purchases on other consumers satisfaction, that's why these kind of landing pages that are full of fake reviews shouldn't be allowed. Any one agree with me?

7. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't personally agree with fake reviews and testimonials. However, at the same time, I don't feel it's right for everyone to have to put up a huge "Sign" at the top of the site that will just drive 80% of visitors away.

Does anyone have a list of the current states that enforce this law?

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there are new rules on Affiliate Marketing.
    You can see that here - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/11/AR2006121101389.html

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

From Amazon's Associate agreement

10. gowriter

gowriter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I heard about something like this coming down the road. With identify theft happening to 1 in 6 people, government's probably going after online businesses, too. It was going to be a matter of time anyway.

However, I always believed that the number one reason why affiliates would resort to this sort of thing is because they haven't really been taught properly. When there are more half-baked products then there are proper coaches who teach internet marketing skills, then you breed bad behavior which spreads.

Yes, you have the impatient ones who want to make a quick buck. We've all been there. Who could blame you? You were told you could make money quickly. What else can you expect?

I don't see clear enough instruction from teachers. They say "hey, don't spam", but they don't explain what spamming is, so their students end up spamming.

No one seems to explain SEO from Google's point of view (took me a year and a good coach to understand this). They say you'll be penalized if you do this, so don't do it, but they never explain why.

I mean, gurus and experts could do a lot more thorough job of teaching than just telling you, "Do this." I understand they're not perfect, but they shouldn't leave out big chunks of information that's crucial.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Gowriter and thanks for sharing your views with us. Yes, it's true that if everyone acted professionally and honestly these laws would not be required. Unfortunately that is not the case. I'd also agree that it is important to learn SEO properly because spamming techniques will not benefit you in the long term.