new here and need some help/tips/advice on contract manufacturing chewing gum.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by thisgsx, Sep 19, 2011.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all, I've got something in the works about a new chewing gum. I've searched online for different contract manufacturers, but the thing is, I have no clue what I am getting myself into. I am at the point of running before I can walk. I know what my idea is, I know that it 'should' do pretty well in the market, the thing is I have no idea what kind of questions I need to ask or what I need to do in order to get the contract manufacturer's to agree on my idea. I don't even know if I need capitol, or the process of it all. If anyone has any experience with this please shed some light.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you done some market research to test the appeal and customer opinions on your idea?

Once you have done that, you could contact a few of the contract manufacturers to get an idea as to their charges. This will help you to determine if the idea is feasible or not, by comparing your costs with potential revenue.

3. thisgsx

thisgsx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stupid question, but should I make them, the contract manufacturer sign a nondisclosure agreement? Are patents a joke? Seeing as how a competitor, someone who's been in the business longer than I have, with a reputation can pretty much make a clone of my product, yet making a few changes here and there to make it their own 'brand'?

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should research first in the industry your trying to deal with before even planning to use your money. How it works, what should you need like equipments and ingredients, do you need workers et al.

5. MrPolarZero

MrPolarZero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to be careful who you deal business with, they might take advantage of you having no idea in what your doing and steal your idea. Good luck on that.

6. thisgsx

thisgsx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for the help guys! it looks like it's time for me to hit some books.

7. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there is a very interesting subject "Competitive investigation", you should do it :) hire somabody to do it for you better.

8. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you do first your business plan?You must implement a plan so that it is not difficult for you if you try to go in business,This serve as your guide.