New Google Chrome Beta Browser is Really FAST!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Terry Kyle, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Terry Kyle

Terry Kyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The new Google Chrome Beta browser is available for download now (from the Google Search page) and it is VERY fast - much faster than IE and a bit faster than Firefox - at least on my machine.

Let the browser wars begin again!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Terry, you're on the ball. I've just heard this on the early morning news and was about to make a post on it. I've just downloaded Google Chrome and can't wait to start using it. I'll post some feedback here when I've given it a whirl.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Chrome

I guess that this is another step for Google in it's quest for world domination and this is it's new web browser: the Google Chrome. Although it is still in it's beta and there are still a few bugs to fix, the Chrome will likely be successful and might take top spot in the web browser wars.

Chrome also has tabbed browsing just like any modern browsers like IE 7 or Mozilla Firefox but the major difference is that in Chrome, each tab is sandboxed. With this, each tab can run faster by tapping on it's own resources. Also because of this, if any tab hangs or crashes, it doesn't affect the other tabs and windows unlike that of IE 7 and Firefox. All you have to do in this situation is to close the hanging tab.

In terms of security, Chrome allows you to launch an "incognito" window. This is quite useful in hiding private and confidential information when you are on a internet cafe or any public computer. In this privacy mode, the browser will not remember any websites you visit and will not store information of your online activities. I think that this is a very good feature because it saves you the time in clearing up or deleting your cache.

One disadvantage though is that same as other browsers like Firefox and Safari, it will have problems viewing websites that have features that are dependent on Internet Explorer.

Check out the Google Chrome browser yourself.

EDIT: Sorry for creating another thread for this. I only saw just now that a thread has already been created for this. Kindly add this in Terry's thread.

#3 Nazreen, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Threads merged, thanks Nazreen.

I've been using Google Chrome for the past couple of days now and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it and don't intend to change back to Firefox. The user interface is attractive and friendly and the browser appears to work faster on my PC than Firefox.

There are a couple of things that I haven't figured out yet, such as how to show a page rank button, to display the page rank of every site I visit. Anyone know how I can get this?

5. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I downloaded it yesterday but cannot change the theme of the browser any1 know how to Bcos the blue colour theme is not good and I cannot see it in bright day light??

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I didn't see anything on Google's website about themes. However the browser has just been launched, so we should soon new features becoming available.

7. zackry

zackry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never tried before ....I must try maybe it fast then FF.Thanks for releasing very much!

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a lot of discussions on this in other forums like DP and currently the Chrome doesn't have a feature to show the page rank of websites. A lot of people also have sent a feedback to Google about this.

9. bojomojo

bojomojo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

actually google has given periorities to speed and friendly looks on all of their services, i am not surprised this one has the same too :D

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nazreen, many people (myself included) focus far too much on Page Rank. Maybe the introduction of Google Chrome, will go some way towards ending this obsession and provide the spur for webmasters to concentrate on the real marketing fundamentals of their sites, i.e. providing something of real value to their visitors.

11. Bradleynova

Bradleynova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Will Chrome be worth the download? I am fine now using IE and Firefox, what would the real benefit be?

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For myself, the most noticeable advantage of using the Chrome is the speed. It's definitely faster than IE and even Firefox. I also like the fact that when one tab crashes or hangs, it doesn't affect the other open windows and tabs. All you need to do when a tab hangs is to close this one tab.