New Domain

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by melbel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. melbel

melbel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking of buying a domain for my blog. What do you guys think? I recently went through an entire blog overhaul with the design. I've got a few bugs to work out with Ad Sense and Digg so I probably won't buy until then. What kind of revenue difference has it made for those of you who got your own domain for your blog?

2. BizMan

BizMan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well traffic is the key point.

There are some sites that have long URLs that make more $ than sites with short and descriptive names since they get more traffic than them. I'm not sure what kind of revenue improvement it will produce in the short run, but in the long run it's definitely worth it. It will make it easier for your readers to remember your blog and to tell others. It's a lot easier to remember site.com than site.blogspot.com etc.

3. MrsWrite

MrsWrite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've bought a number of domain names over the years. I like them short and to the point. I think if it's catchy it helps too. That way if you advertise people will be more likely to remember the site name and visit your site.

4. untikoplus

untikoplus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess buying a domain for your site helps you with well traffic if it's catchy, short and easy to remember. I agree it's better to have something.com than something.wordpress.com, then people that liked your site will remember it and tell others to visit, so the traffic to your site will increase.

5. Gsv13

Gsv13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing is you can sell your site(hardwork) in future ..... which is not a possibility for a wordpress/blogspot hosted site ..... also you will get your own alexa rating.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Having it's own TLD domain name will certainly help give your blog a more professional image. When choosing a domain name try to select one that is short, memorable and preferably a dot com. Obviously sites on domains that don't fall into this category can be very successful but short, memorable dot coms are generally the most effective domains for building brand awareness and name recognition of your site / blog.

You might want to check our partner free domain names forum for details on how you can get a free domain name and lots of webmaster support.

7. surfville

surfville
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Owning a domain is always been better than having a domain form a free one ling blogger, the main problem is that most of this have longer domain names and that is a problem to remember for some users they will just go to other site that has shorter and serve the same content as you have.

8. Lord_Daksh

Lord_Daksh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya you should go for a .com domain for your blogspot.. Blogspots get indexed in the search engines very easily and effectively too.. You can get e huge no of traffic to your blogspot directly and to your site indirectly,by just updating your blog site everyday with sizzling posts and articles.. Moreover,you should also blend the ads in proper places anr perfectly.. With .com domain,you can double your traffic and directly can enhance your earnings from your site...

9. archgames

archgames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

short domains are the best easy to remember and people will come back and try getting .com if possible.if people forget what tld your domain had everyone first tend to try .com

10. exinRex

exinRex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah it's true having a short domain name and preferable a .com, you can increase the traffic of your site, easy to remember with the user and direct to the point. and be sure that your site will keep updated so that the visitors will keep viewing your site :D

11. Pirata

Pirata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess it's a good idea to buy a domain name, people will remember your url much easier when it's for example myblog.com than when it's myblog.blogspot.com. Of course it will cost you a bit, but you will gain more money with your blog via ads or something similar so in my opinion you should try it.
    And archgames, it's true what you say: people always type in .com when they are not sure anymore about the TLD.

12. zerzis

zerzis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is said that you should have more keywords in your domain name for search engines to easily and effectively index your site, but thsi is exactly opposite if you want other people to remember your website's name. So decide which way you will be marketting your site. If its the search engine way, try to combine 2-3 keywords for your niche and if its mouth publicity or you want people to REMEMBER you websites name, then you with attractive names.

hope this helps,
    bye