New Design for Nerdie Media

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Nerdie, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nerdie

Nerdie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

We recently just completely re-designed our company website and am curious to see what everyone thinks.
    If you have a few minutes, please check out http://nerdiemedia.com and give me your brutally honest feedback, it will be appreciated! :)

2. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who did work at your design?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

When someone asks for "brutally honest feedback", I often wonder how "brutally honest" they want us to be. Anyway, here goes:

Your "website" is a single page, with the links on the upper right linking to small sections on the page. Your services are described with two sentences, with no information about what you do and how you do it. Because of the large number of companies providing the same services, many of whom (and I do not yet have sufficient information to exclude present company) operate with ethics that are politely described as "questionable", a two sentence description is not enough to persuade potential clients to contact you. Plus the only way to contact you is by email using the supplied, very small, contact form. Even if a potential client was to click on "get a quote", they are also taken to the small contact form. More often than not, they will probably leave the site, since they have no idea what kind of services you provide.
    Because of the aforementioned "questionable ethics" that many providers in our industry have, potential clients need to know that your company has the knowledge and experience to provide the services they need, and they want to know as much as possible about what you do before contacting the company. Your website tells them nothing.
    You also have no testimonials, and/or examples of work you have done for your clients. The "projects" you created are your own websites, and one is a project you moved to another server, and converted to a different platform - you didn't create it.
    I am a sales rep for a company that has been in business for over 7 years, and we are as transparent as we can possibly be without revealing proprietary information. We have detailed information about what we do on our corporate website, and we provide detailed forms for each client to submit. When the form is submitted, we provide them with a detailed proposal. If the prospect wishes to do so, we also go over the proposal with them before they make their purchase decision.
    Show them you deserve their trust. Earn it, and they will give it to you.

4. Nerdie

Nerdie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our websites speak for themselves, we generally just add a link back in the footer on any projects we work on, which brings in a vast majority of our clients and has worked for several years.

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nerdie,

In my experience you end up getting a lot of misleading information and feedback when you ask people what they think of your site if those people you are asking are not in your normal target audience.

In general if a person is not in your target audience "a person who is likely to buy from you" then the information they give you about what they like or don't like or suggested improvements will not be completely accurate for the people who might actually buy from you.

For example, a lot of the people on this forum are going to be more "tech savvy" and "website savvy" people. The people in your actual target audience might be mostly people who have almost zero technical skills and zero knowledge of how websites are built.

A business owner of a 4 million dollar company who might hire you to build them a great website will probably have a different opinion about your site than a semi-professional or freelance web designer.

I am sure you already know and understand all of that, but sometimes it helps to be reminded.

I think if you want to get really useful feedback from people outside your target audience, then you are better off asking really specific questions like "was your first impression of this site a positive impression or negative impression when the homepage first loaded?" or " If you were to rank the website on a scale of one to ten for how professional the design looks, what score would you give it?"

In both of those cases I would say that "yes" your website gives a positive impression and yes it looks professional. For design looks I would score it an 8 out of ten above the fold and 7 out of ten for content appearing below the fold.

Side note: Real photos of employees/staff/people convey a lot more trust to me than comic book like avatars do. Again that is just my personal opinion and I am not in your target audience for the services you sell.

Hope that helps.
    Ted

6. itommy

itommy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

site is simple but layout looks good.

I like it!