New Business to help Local Businesses?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by RaffleDog, Oct 5, 2010.

1. RaffleDog

RaffleDog
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I’m looking for some insight. My business is Raffle Dog and we are a marketing company that helps national and local businesses build socially (FB, twitter, ect..). Our national plan is pretty straight forward and we host a giveaway and get people to check out their website and social network sites.

Our local plan is why we started this company and is a little different. We either offer direct mail postcards and/or in-store advertising. For our direct mail option we will promote your giveaway and send postcards out to a targeted list. Our in-store promotions can be combined or used by itself for promoting the giveaway. In-store promotion consists of card handouts, posters and zagat style stickers for their entrances. These giveaways will last for 30 days and will help promote their local business and give their social networks a kick start. This package could also act as just straight advertising a certain coupon or event.

I’m looking to see what people think of my business. I’m starting to make my marketing material and will hit the streets and try to get local businesses to sign up. Thanks!

Check out my services at: http://raffledog.com/sponsors/

#1 RaffleDog, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It sounds like a marketing concept that could be helpful to lots of businesses and websites RaffleDog. One thing I would suggest is that you need to be a little clearer and more succinct as to what your business is about. The way you describe it here and on your web page might cause a little confusion in the minds of your potential customer -they might not be clear as to whether you offer raffle or social networking services. I remember reading once that "good companies do a few things really well, great companies do one thing really well".

Perhaps a statement along the lines of "We create and manage successful raffles and promote them through social networking sites to create massive publicity for your business" could help clarify what you are about. Obviously that statement needs a little work, but hopefully it will give you some ideas. The goal is to make the benefits of using your services, very clear and simple to your potential customers.

Please post back with your thoughts on that and we'll see if we can give you some helpful, feedback, advice and direction.

3. RaffleDog

RaffleDog
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey thanks for the advice! I understand my services quite easily but I know it can be confusing to potential clients. I'm going to look over my sponsor page and make it more clear cut. When I first thought of the idea I thought I was the only one out there but soon found a bunch of giveaway sites that promote products.

Where I differ is that my goal is to make this more of a local thing. A service restaurants and small shops could use to help build their social following. Getting local visitors to check out the raffle page/their FB page is the hard part. But through direct mail and/or in-store promotion, I think it could really help them build up some fans.

I'm going to reword that page to make it easier for everyone. Anymore advice would be great! Thanks.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately it's very difficult to come up with a completely new idea that has never been tried before. On the positive side, the fact that other people are doing it, may be evidence that the concept works and the business is profitable.

That could work very well, almost all businesses are aware of social networking and those that are not using it will be wondering if they should be using it. Many of them will also be looking for ways to beat the downturn by improving their marketing and expanding their customer base. Your service should be able to help them with that.

Please post back when you have made some changes and we'll give you feedback on that.