New business Plan - Wedding Planners

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by simplyjo, Jun 13, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

Me, my bf and a friend are planning to start an online wedding planners site. We will provide complete packages - Including cuisines, top class entertainment, exotic locales and so much more. We have made a custom site as well - http://shaadiplanners.in/ (Most of the tabs are not yet active).The site mostly caters to the Indian and NRI community , though focus is also on people from all over the world looking for an ethnic Indian wedding. I'd need your help and suggestions : -

1. Is the site good ? If not, any suggestions.
    2. Would this site convince you to contact us to plan your wedding ?
    3. How can I promote this site online ?
    4. Is it a good business plan ?

Please give your valuable tips and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Jo

2. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice design and good niche. Wedding are big business, I know, my one cost a small fortune.
    As for promotion, I would try and take out an advert in as many bridal magazines as possible. Also bridal websites are a good place to advertise. Look for forums in the niche and become an active poster, always remember to include your link in your signature.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First off the site looks great, congratulations with that. Some observations below:

Some pages of your site use black text on a white background and other areas use white text on a black background. This causes a little bit of inconsistency. It may not be a bad thing, but something you should probably be aware of and give some consideration to.

I'm not too sure about your domain name. Perhaps it has meaning and is memorable in India, but if you are targeting people from Europe and the US your domain is not memorable and it will be difficult to remember it's spelling.

The site could do with some SEO work. Your title tags are extremely important in terms of SEO and unfortunately the ones you are using are not doing much for you. Title tags should include your keywords - terms that your potential customers would use when searching the Internet for a site like yours. Your customers will not be searching Google for "Welcome to www.shaadiplanners.in".

There are some broken links on your site e.g., http://shaadiplanners.in/cuisines.html, http://www.shaadiplanners.in/rituals-customs.html, http://www.shaadiplanners.in/contactus.aspx and http://www.shaadiplanners.in/south-indian-community.html. You were probably aware of them.

Your home page needs a strong call to action. It looks professional and it contains quite a bit of text, but without a strong call to action potential customers will leave your site without interacting with you or seriously considering your services.

Shame on you :) don't forget the bride. When targeting the US and Europe the bride is probably the main decision maker. Many grooms will do what they are told when it comes to the big day.

I do like the idea behind the business and believe it could be very successful. More and more Irish people are getting married abroad. India is not a country many of them consider, but this could change if they had a greater awareness of what India has to offer. As it is a service business you can probably start off with quite a low investment and overhead costs.

When it comes to promoting the site online, I'd agree with Norrad that relevant forum participation could be very useful. Also consider wedding related directories, reciprocal links with complimentary sites, posting on blogs and social networking.

Please reply back with your thoughts and ideas and I will give some further feedback & suggestions.

4. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey fergal - Many thanks for really gr8 constructive feedback. I've forwarded it to my friend - Who is behind the site and since it is not yet live, we will surely make appropriate changes.
    Even, I was not in favor of the domain name - ShaadiPlanners - Shaadi stands for Wedding in Hindi (Indian mothertongue). But my friend convinced me when he said weddingplanners can never be on top of google due to high competition. Though, we are open to suggestions for good domain names which are low competition and go well with the wedding planner thing - Any tips, guys ?

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

simplyjo, Fergal's gave you some great tips already. Looks nice! :)

One thing I would expect to see first (and I know you're just starting working on it) would be a set price list detailing exactly what they get with the packages. Does it include a photographer for example and the photo album? Can they customize the packages?

Here's some example questions you might want to think about.

• How many people will you be able to cater for - are you going to arrange small intimate weddings, large scale extravaganzas or both?
    • What about if they're coming from overseas - do they need inoculations,visas, etc ? ( A page on that would be extremely helpful)
    • Will you also arrange their accommodation for the days immediately before, during and after the ceremony?
    • What about if guests need a place to stay, can you help there?
    • What about the legal side of the wedding? How will you (and they) know it's being carried out by an official? Will you find the person to wed them or will they do that themselves? What about the paperwork?

• From the business side, how will you know both parties are free to wed? If they come from overseas, will a wedding carried out in India be recognized as legitimate when they return to their own country?
    • Who will be your suppliers for the flowers, cake, food, entertainment etc? Remember all these will have peak wedding months and probably be booked well in advance.
    Those are just off the top of my head but you get the idea. I tip my hat to you because I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility. It's such a hugely important day with so much detail involved.

I would add a forum to your site where they can ask pre sales questions and also a live chat option if that's feasible. We discussed an open source live chat program here before in this thread.

As for a domain name, is there a saying associated with weddings in India? Like here, we say " to have and to hold" as part of the wedding vows, which I always thought would be a great name for a wedding site.

#5 Kay, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Awesome tips, Kay. Thanks a million !!!!! This really helps. Will do more research and add this stuff !

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What about orientwedding.net ?

I'll think more about domain names and try to come up with some suggestions.

8. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a nice site. You might want to add a few more features, that might make it a little more user friendly to attract more people to contact you.

How to promote it? Have you ever considered setting up some PPC campaigns? Or are you looking for mainly organic traffic? You can always do email drops or even create a blog about weddings "in general" to attract potential customers to your site for contact.
    Hope that helps some. :)

9. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal - That sounds good .We are also planning to set up a site just for wedding destinations. I'll post more info in this thread once it's up and running.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like proudwedding.com and it is available to register. Other available domains include;

weddingsmart.net
    weddingclever.com & .net
    cleverwedding.net
    idwedding.net
    weddingindia.net
    wedindia.net
    bigdayindia.com & .net
    superbwedding.net
    wedsuperb.com & .net
    wedfantastic.com & .net

How do you like those, would they suit your needs?

11. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow. Fergal thanks a ton for going through a list of available domains for us. I appreciate that. However, we have decided to stick to shaadiplanners and for starters just focus on Indians and NRI's (Non resident Indians) who are familiar with the word shaadi (Which stands for wedding).
    Also, we have changed the colors etc on the site - Could someone check it out and tell us if it looks any better than before ?

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site looks great Jo. Can I presume that you will be adding a site header or logo?

13. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ton's of changes need to be made. Infact, we are planning to change the website designer. Any tips ?

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jo, do you meant that will you be hiring someone else to design the site or that you will be changing the design?

15. jackie124

jackie124
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its really a nice site. Indian weddings are traditional and well cultured. The service of the wedding planner is quite valuable. They can assist you in deciding and arranging different things you may need. Once you hire a wedding planner it is his or her duty to make the wedding function a success. Keep it up

16. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Jackie. I backed out of the project to concentrate on my content writing business.

17. CustomiZer

CustomiZer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If this project is going to be based only on India then I guess the domain name is good enough + the .in extension suits as well.

But if you are looking for global customers then I guess many probably might not even know the meaning of ' shaadi '.

By advice would be first start it off as a project for the Indian community and later when it stabilized enough you could move over to a global prospect. At that time you could change you domain or have another affiliated site. :)

The site looks good enough but the pictures of the slide show were a little blurred (2 of them)
    It would look good to have more better ;)
    (I like the pic of the sacred flame but a better quality would be even better)

18. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Inspired by 'Band Bajja Barrat' ?

Well I don't know how is this business (one need to have proper survey), but it could be good business. In fact any business is good if you are doing it with honesty and dedication, it will certainly grow.

For your site, I liked it the look and feel is Ok. One thing I would like to point it out. IMO If you are in business you must have address on your contact page, your customer can trust you as a established company.

Good luck :)

G!