New business idea but would like some real suggestions.

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Ttrout, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Ttrout

Ttrout
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is my first post. Just wanted to say thanks to forum for all help.

First the background. I live in a rural area. There are ALOT of people near by and alot of business moving to the area. So businesses that are gettting started now will hopefully be doing very well long term. However there is nothing for children, kids or teens to do in our area. Literally nothing. I have 2 kids 12 and 16. All they do is stay at home. Sports are big in area but only really impacts .01percent of kids. Kids here They drink party and get into trouble. I was looking to open some kind of business that would be able to entertain children of most ages. The best idea that I have at the moment is to open a small paintball field. I like this idea in general however this doesn't include the "younger" kids as much. Of course keeping in mind the fact that growth will be happening and adding smaller kid activities later is a option. Which is my present idea. But is there something just utterly basic and simple that I am missing some acivity or something that can be easily added to the paintball field to get kids out.

I am going to be doing something that will be kid based and really want to make a positive impact in this area. Any and all opinions are welcome. Parents what are you doing with your kids?

Thanks
    Ttrout

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Ttrout, thanks for joining and posting your questions.

Paint-balling is growing in popularity and seems to be something that people of all ages enjoy. One thing you would need to check is the legal age limit for participating in paint-balling in your area, just double check that it is not restricted to over eighteens. I'm not sure if it is the same in all areas, but paint-balling is quite an expensive activity here in Ireland. Hence, it is something that people generally participate in on special occasions, such as birthdays and stag dos (known as bachelor parties in the US). You will need to consider that when forecasting your sales and estimating how many visitors you will get per day / week.

Other venues that are popular with teenagers here in Ireland are pool / snooker halls, pitch and putt five-a-side soocer and "cool" caf├ęs that are targeted at a younger age group.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the forum! Firstly, I'd just like to congratulate you on what you're doing. A lot of people won't think deep enough into it as you have done, so in my opinion, you should feel very proud of yourself.

I go paintballing a lot actually, I go with my Dad and a few of my friends - as you probably know, paintballing is a sport that's easy for almost any age range to go too. It also keeps to fit and aware, so your idea itself is good! Like Fergal said, five-a-side football pitches, basketball courts or maybe even a "chill out zone" where the kids can interact, watch tv, go on the computers. Just little things like that will keep them entertained.

Good luck with this, your ideas and thoughts are brilliant!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Ttrout,

I would also like to appreciate the way you think about kids and want to create some entertaining environment and get them involved in positive activity.
    If you feel much interested in the Paintball idea, I think, it would be a healthy and thrilling activity for the kids of all ages.
    The kids really need that kind of physical activity since sitting in front of PC all day long.
    But again, you also have to look for the estimates, number of visitors and ROI to keep your business running successfully.

But if you really want to do for kids entertainment, you have some other options too like fun land sort of thing, Fishing fun etc.

Anyways I would say many many best of luck for your business venture!
    Keep thinking for kids. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. zuinag

zuinag
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indoor fields are very popular where I live. They basically take a warehouse and layout artificial turf and tend to have a basketball area. The local one around me also has an arcade with TV's setup. It's defiantly the place kids go on Friday nights to have fun. They serve pizza, drinks, chips and all that other stuff for a reasonable price. Sports may not be popular in your area but this may still be a fun idea that kids would enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, a great idea, it must be rubbish being a kid these days (too busy working on their social lives on Facebook I suppose) Kids are forced to grow up so fast, they're not given time to be kids and discover things and make mistakes and learn for themselves. Good to know there are people looking out for them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NikiRebin

NikiRebin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's an excellent idea you have, to give the kids in your area something to do with themselves other than drink and cause trouble. Sheer boredom is so often the cause of bad behavior! It can be a problem in my area as well.

One girl who is working for me right now has an idea for a similar project, except she plans on opening up a music venue/hangout for high school students. One of the main things to consider is the fact that kids often don't have much money other than what they beg of their parents, so an inexpensive form of entertainment is essential. If you could offer a combination (for example, paintball and arcade games for the kids with a bit more money, and an area with great music and cheap food/drink for those who don't have a ton of cash), you might be able to net more business. Kids get bored of doing the same thing too much, so giving them variety is a good way of guaranteeing a steady flow of business.

Congratulations on stepping up and thinking of the young people in your community -- arguably the most important people in town!

Niki

• Like Like x 1
  8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You got a good idea there. Like td2011 had said, kids these days don't spend much time outdoors and just stay in front of the computer or gaming consoles.

I haven't experienced playing the game or gone to a paintball field, but I think you should decide on whether you would allow other people to bring their own airsoft guns in entering your field. As far as I know, these type of guns have licenses more or less similar to a real gun, so it might be dangerous is someone would enter your field without proper licenses...

9. cris_mac

cris_mac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont know about paintball though, maybe they will get more trouble since its like a gun. But, it is also a great idea to keep those kids from danger and still have fun.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great idea, go ahead if you have a plan on it. Personally i always prefer more outdoor activities for the kids, the kids now is lack of outdoor activities, they spend most of their time in front of the computer. I believed that parent are perhaps their kids have more sport and more outdoor games and more to natural.

On the other hand, paintball can be dangerous without proper training, you gotta 100% ensure the safety.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's why there's some specialized clothing or armor that's needed to be worn before playing.
    Here's an example.

[​IMG]

12. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay I'll put my 2 cents in on the whole thing. Speaking as only a 17 year old as of a week ago I do love the idea of paint all but it's not something you can go and do on a regular basis. Great idea but in the way of changing things for kids I don't think it would work out as of it being great fun but not something you would do a lot.

Also it's hard to give good feedback and suggestions on this due to when you say kids it varies, A LOT.
    Generally someone who is around 15-16 isn't going to want to have somewhere to go to like that, it's an age of many different friend groups that wouldn't all want to be "hanging out" at the same place.

If you want to target a younger age which I think would work out a lot better for you I would suggest something like an indoor padded jungle gym style thing with maybe an area for birthday parties and other things. Would 3-9 yea old wouldn't absolutely love that. Possibly even a room with consoles for the 8-12 year old area, I'm unite just a thought. I have seenany places like this have great success.

Don't take the negative parts of what I have said in the wrong way, basically I just think for a business like this you really need to target a younger audience.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ttrout

Ttrout
    uix_expand uix_collapse

karoshio this is where the hard part of what I am doing takes place. Like all the points you make about my current idea there is a basic flaw. This flaw is what I am trying to figure out.

The area that I live in has a "jumping" place for the small kids to go. They do the renting of and all that as well for your home parties. This is my own belief and do not want to insult anyone, however when it comes to our culture as a nation we are all about the little kids. We take them out we play with them we do everything for them. BUT when they get to be not so little anymore they pull away from us and start to want to do things on their own. As this is a natural part of growing up there seems to be a vaccum of places to go things to do. As a parent I am not going to let my child play anywhere he wants. So what does this leave them to do. Sit in front of video games Internet.

That specific age and up is where I would really like to get involved with. I think most 10-12 year old kids want an "adult thing to do". But not being adults nor being trustworthy at that age they are left yet again sitting.

Thanks to all of you and your posts my revised idea is this. If I could have a paintball field just large enough to start out with to have fun. An area maybe where I could "invite" local bands to come and play offer cheapish food and drinks. Get a few old video games for them to have a start of an arcade and build from there.

Any updated comments would be greatly appreciated

Sorry as well If I am rambling a little doing this post from my iPhone and it tends to be a little annoying. But it is currently my only way to post. Will see if I can update reply at work tomorrow if possible

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The idea is good but probably kids may not find it as exciting and appealing as kids have loads of loads of options to listen to music, to get entertain, shopping and eating out stuff etc.
    I liked the idea to get involve the kids in some physical and creative activity like the paint ball.
    The paint ball idea may incorporate the issues like:

What about that you allocate that space for a thing like 'Krazy kids', in which kids would come to you, get registered for signing, ramp walking, painting contests and many other, and the short listed kids would perform at every Saturday night.
    I hope you would get adequate sponsors for that, :), what do you say?

• Like Like x 1
  15. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now that I like the idea of. All teenagers love going to see bands.

16. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This whole business idea for getting kids more active is simply great. Congrats on that.
    Also, the idea of inviting bands will probably be a success. Maybe you could also arrange a little cinema type of thing?

17. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business Developments

The influx of business developments in rural locations is an interesting reversal. The lack of sufficient activities for youth in your area poses great business potential. Paint ball, laser tag, bowling, and movie theaters are a few possibilities that tend to attract the interest of youth in both rural and urban areas.

18. aiyz

aiyz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you! It was such a nice idea to build that kind of business. Paintball is now among the most popular outdoor games that can be played by people of all ages. Paintball is played as a recreational activity among family and friends and as a bonding activity among business colleagues. Paintball has become so popular that it is played by millions all over the world making it a potentially profitable business entrepreneurs can engage in. But first you should start up cost and potential profits.You will need around $15,000 to start a paintball business. This start up capital will cover the amount that you will spend for the paintball equipment, the portable trailer, advertisement and land lease.

19. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We need more for the younger generations, I would hate to think that my kids would be glued to a computer screen all day with no reason to go outside of the house. When I was young I don't really remember seeing my parents all summer, I was out playing with friends from dawn to dusk.