Networking Tips For Someone New to a City

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by DaveB, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are self-employed it can be very hard to develop friendships and business relationships especially when working from home with very few clients. If you move to a new city what are the best ways to network? I appreciate any and all advice.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I would get in touch with any business associations relevant to my industry in the new city. I'd find out a bit about them and if they were professional I'd join them and start participating in their events. I'd also do the same with more general business networks and organisations such as Chambers of Commerce.

3. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've had to start over socially several times due to relocations. I noticed that this is a common issue so I actually wrote an article about this topic on the Lifehack site. See my article called Step-By-Step Plan To Get More Friends

Hope this is useful.

4. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Today with so many professionals online it is s much easier to search out professionals in your related line of work and connect with them. Utilize your social media platforms to find those people in your new area and start connecting with them. You don't need to have the right connection today in order to get someone to pay attention to you, showing an interest in their work is enough to get the ball rolling.

5. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should go out. Explore. Meet new people. Become aware of your surroundings and the world around you. Take note of the people who you might share the same interest. Connect with them and know them.

6. luch

luch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Attend any sort of short course or training related to your interests. It could be sports, personal development, charity, etc. From there, make friends with like-minded people and let the rest be history. Good luck!

7. Tohami

Tohami
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would start at LinkedIn and see people of same interest in my new geographical location. Connect with them and then invite them for a cup of coffee.

• Like Like x 1