Needing advice and feedback on why my online store is not working

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dsplaser, Oct 30, 2011.

1. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need some feedback from the members of this forum. I realize that this is an international forum, so my product may not be as well received as it is in the United States. However I could use some opinions and welcome criticism if it will help me to generate sales on my website. My store has been online for over six months. My traffic levels have been acceptable and I don't understand why I have not generated even one sale. I use my website and have a facebook page which can be found at DonSon Products, Inc. I'm hoping the members here will take a moment and look at my page and my store and tell me what I'm doing wrong. My web page can be found at http://www.dsplaser.com your input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

From what I can see, the site is very poorly designed. It looks like it was designed from a template, and does not look very professional. If I visited this store as a customer, I would not buy anything either. The site really does not inspire a great deal of trust, which you will need if you want customers to buy from you. The category pages reached from the home page have descriptions of your services, but no pricing. The pictures on these pages are also not organized at all.
    If this was my company, I would look into having a site professionally designed, by someone who knows how to make the site appealing to visitors, as well as optimizing it for the search engines.

I did a search for some of your categories on Google, to give you an idea of what your site should look like:

Gun Engraving: Jeff Flannery Gun Engraving, Gunfancy.com

Photo Engraving: The Laser Shop Online, Laser Engraved Memories

Engraved Pistol Grips: Chuckaroos

All of the sites above are ranked on page 1 of Google, so if the links are not allowed, or don't work, you can Google the categories yourself an take a look at some of the sites to give you ideas for what your site should look like.

3. RedHelper

RedHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello! There are much to do with your site, as I see it. First of all, try to remove the presentation. I see, there is a skip button, but just try to turn it off by default for a month or so. Second, to me color scheme looks disgusting :( , you'd better use complete gray scheme than this red+purple... Third, i've just visited your site and it took me 1 minute to understand, what the site is about, and about half a minute to realize, what is offered to me there!! It's too much. Make a simple, clear statement about what you sell and why it is perfect and definitly worth buying!

You have an offline shop, it's perfect. You brand should be well-known in the US, but at the global market nobody have an idea of what it's all about. However, if you make a video about your product and, saying in general, "show your goods" it will be much better!

The other crucial point is your contact page. Too little information, people want to know if there is worldwide delivering or not! This is very important!

Finally, it will be a good decision to learn from those who achieved success in selling worldwide, what sites and strategies they use.

Oh God, your task is soooo interesting and i have tons of suggestions but that's going to be about 3 pages of a plain text =) Nevertheless hope i've helped a bit, and sorry for my Engrish for i'm not a native speaker as you can see.

Good luck in your buisness!

P.S. Your niche is specific, why not to try posting on related forums (hunting, gifts, e-devices etc).

• Like Like x 1
  4. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to those who have posted so far. Feedback is greatly appreciated. The site is not from a template. It is however not done by me and I have to contact them to make changes and I will be discussing the points brought up with them. I'm in the process of making a video to put on the site and hope that it will be on their soon.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

When I suggested you have the site professionally re-designed, I had no idea you had someone design the site for you - it definitely doesn't look it.
    RedHelper had some good suggestions. I would definitely remove the presentation at the beginning, it serves no useful purpose. I would also like to see some consistency of design between the store and the rest of the site. Also, move the information about Service for Service, Inc. to it's own page. The home page should be an introduction to your services, to give visitors a reason explore the site. Perhaps you can include a sample picture of an example of each of your services, with a link to that section of the site. In each section, instead of a group of pictures, you can have a few sample pictures, with a description of what it is, a short description of how it was made, and the price of the item. Because of the large amount of information in each section describing the process, you might want to link to one or more separate pages, rather than putting everything on one page.
    On the On-Page Optimization, after the site is re-designed, you will want to have a Title Tag and Description on each page, including the appropriate keywords, rather than using titles like "gun.html", "photo.html", or "awards.html".
    As I mentioned above, the store does not look like it was professionally designed. Once again, I suggest you look at some of the sites in my original post, or Google your services to take a look at some highly ranked sites to get ideas on what your store should look like.

6. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been looking at other sites and stores as you suggested and I see what direction you are trying to guide me. The man that does the website for me is doing it as a favor. Being a relatively new company, and the economy being in the shape that is, funds are limited. I know that the store software is very limited in the things that can be done. It is provided by my web hosting company, which I will be changing providers very shortly. One of the criteria in selecting the new hosting company will be software available for the store itself. Again, I thank you very much for your input.

7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

maybe you should use another shopping cart that would be easy to use.maybe wordpress shopping cart

8. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't get accees to your site and i am always stuck at the intro video even though i have clicked the skip intro button a few times already.

9. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will look into the wordpress shopping cart. I will have the intro taken down today.

10. timpane

timpane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You emblem should be well-known in the US, but at the international market no one have an concept of what it's all about. However, if you make a video about your merchandise and, saying in general, "show your goods" it will be much better!

11. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have no impact pictures, all of them are thumbnails which need to be clicked on.
    At the least you have a banner which shouts "Look how good we are at Engraving" by having a good close up of your work.

A picture paints a thousand words, so I would suggest more and bigger pictures, less text and example prices.

Hope this helps

12. Scarlettown

Scarlettown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi dsplaser,
    As a former content strategist for one of the most well-known e-commerce sites, at first glance, I can tell you that the user experience is somewhat poor/confusing. I'm not sure what you do until I read a little. At the most fundamental level, if the name of your business doesn't signify what you do, it creates marketing issues. I Googled your company name and, while it located you (which means you're at least indexed), make sure the first description of your company includes that you are an engraver (I still wasn't sure when I read your navigation menu as it was a bit sporadic with content references - i.e., "electronic devices" might be more effective as "electronics engraving").

The top of the page (which is what e-commerce and UI designers call "above the fold" - meaning, what the user will see first) is very content heavy. Reduce the text to a theme, subtitle or action for the user to take; the rest can go under an "About" link. I liked that the grips were visible at the bottom of the page (although they are still below the fold), if that is what you wish to pull the most business. If it isn't, make sure your primary money-maker is illustrated somewhere on your home page and in your ads. Build everything else around that.

Other commenters are right about the prices; users don't buy what that can't comparison shop for. Use this to your advantage when running promos - do your homework and see how you stand out against the competition. One of the main concerns in user experience is giving the user a clear path/action. You're basically helping them into your online sales cycle. Like the main landing page, the first page of your store isn't intuitive; it's more "About Company" content and adds an additional click the user might avoid. This is prime real estate. Give the user your best deal/shot for what you can offer them to purchase then provide content that helps drive/support that action. I have no idea whether you're in my purchasing ballpark until I choose one of the nav links to look at specific prices. Again, keep in mind this is quite a few layers deep for me to figure out if I want to buy from you. It would be interesting to know if users are jumping off before this point - a subscription to Google Analytics will help you determine what users are really doing/experiencing on your site.

Most of the content recommendations center around making a better first impression (same as the design recommendations), helping the user know that they are where they should be (i.e., that you offer something they need/want), and helping them get where will benefit them most with the fewest steps.

Hope that's helpful and that more of your traffic converts to sales.

Regards,
    Scarlettown Communications

• Like Like x 1
    #12 Scarlettown, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  13. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just want everyone to know how much I appreciate the feedback that I have been receiving. We are in the process of making changes to the site. All of the information I'm getting is very helpful. I'm glad that I decided to ask for help from this forum. We are being featured in a national magazine this month. I want to make sure the site is improved in order to capitalize on that exposure.

14. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All has been said above by the much experienced than me. How ever I would add this your site gave me no idea what this was all about. Its good you are considering a re-design that is extremely essential.

15. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This statement leads me to a question that has been a problem from the start. Due to the wide range of services that can be offered using this type of machine, how do you sum up everything that you can do in the few short seconds to hold a potential customer, when you can't be sure which topic brought them to your page.

16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although there is a range of different things you can do, it all boils down to one thing - engraving. You can start with a line similar to this: "By using engraving, a simple item, such as a photo or gun, can be made unique. A special occasion can also be made even more special with an engraved gift or keepsake."

Although you do not have to use them word for word, the above lines can give you an idea of where to start. You can add a list of the actual services you offer, with a brief description of each.

17. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All over design of your site should be altered. I have also noticed the article on the front page, is not too good for the eyes. Your front page should have more impact to clients.

18. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have an example of what you would do to impact clients?

19. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good store must have good product gallery, and supper simple step to purchase product. Apple store is the most easier store to make transaction, with one click user can transfer the payment to by apps. SSL improve user trust, which I cant found in your website.

example: http://www.yesasia.com

20. dsplaser

dsplaser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SSL is in place on the site. That is part of the processing requirements and is included in the web server software. I will discuss this with the man that is helping me with the site. I know that this is necessary in order to make people feel comfortable. If it is difficult to determine if it is in place, this would cause people to hesitate to buy from the site. Hopefully today, we will be posting some changes to the site. The changes are a result of the helpful feedback I have been receiving. Thank you everyone for your feedback.