Need some serious reviewing here

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by An Alien, Apr 4, 2011.

1. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know I've posted this a long time ago, but I want more from you guys about this site:
    http://myairportsedan.com

I'm thinking about completely rebuilding it.

Give me some harsh constructive criticism, It'll help me more.

Give me any idea you have to make it look, feel, and accessibility better.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I mentioned this in your other thread, and it still hasn't been fixed yet. On the "Services" page, it says, "We also provide service to DC Marryland, Northen Verginia, Dellavare, Pelsenvania & Filladelfia, New Jersy and New York." I have lived in the US all my life, and have never heard of Marryland - is that a wedding chapel in Las Vegas? I have also never heard of Northen Verginia, Dellavare, Pelsenvania, Filladelfia, or New Jersy. I have, however heard of Northern Virginia, Dellaware, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and New Jersey. I am reasonably sure several of your potential customers have heard of them as well. I also noticed on every page that your address is listed as 1077 Downton Road - should that be "Downtown? Also, the word "representative" is spelled "represetative". On your "Reservations" form "Picup" should be "Pick up", and on your "Rate List" it should say "All Major Credit Cards are accepted". Finally, at the bottom of some pages it says, "Please note special parties booking and country tours of more then 5 days have 10% off" but on one page it says, "Please note special parties booking and city tours of more then 5 days have 10% off". Other than the fact that "then" should be "than", is there a reason why "country" was changed to "city' on the "special Offers" page?
    Now for my area of expertise. I had a preliminary analysis done on your home page, and your score was 65.93%(C) out of 100%. Your home page is an exact duplicate of 1 page, including Meta Titles and Meta Description. Also your "market focus", which basically determines where the search engines put your site, was "services baltimore washington", although the 4 word market focus was "trasnportation services baltimore washington" so that might not be problem.
    I will also PM you with my contact information, so you can contact me for more assistance if you wish.

3. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, it's a crap load of mistakes. Thanks for pointing them all out, and I've recieved your PM. I fixed a lot more before but there are still so many, lol. And I think I'm going to trash this site completly, and design and code a new site myself. But the problem is that I don't have much time. If you guys find any other mistakes, please post them. I will try to fix the ones that Joeroxx mentioned tomorrow and then start designing new site over my break next week. Any ideas are welcome for new design BTW. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Honestly if I was you I wouldn't be in a rush to do that. If you correct all the mistakes highlighted by joeroxx, you won't have a bad looking site. It will be a site that you will have no reason to be ashamed of and it should help at least in some small way to promote the business. You say that your time is limited and it should be much quicker for you to improve your existing site than to build a new one from scratch.

I'd suggest:

• Making the main text area where you have the "Company Profile" and "Our Services" details the same width as the photos above it. This will make your page design look much cleaner and less disjointed. You can do this by increasing the width of the photos, reducing the width of the text area, or a bit of both.
    • Adding a light background colour to the the "designed by..." and copyright text in the footer area.
    • Adding some consistency to your left hand navigation menu - the "Special Offers, Reservations and RateList" links have a colour background, whereas the "Company Profile and Our Services" links don't.

Once you have made some of the suggested changes please post back and we will give you additional feedback and suggestions.

5. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol, I'm procrastinating sooo much. I hate my laziness
    :p

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Turn your laziness to your advantage, use it to motivate you to be as efficient and effective as possible so that you receive the maximum results from the minimum effort.

7. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, I do that sometimes. But it requires a lot of motivation first, lol.

8. harigopinath

harigopinath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I visited your website today.I there are few suggestions I would like to make regarding the Design,Layout, Content and total appeal of the website.

1.Design

According to my view the site can have a more creative design starting from the logo part of the site.Overall design and color scheme seems to be dull which could be improved.The fonts and backgrounds are not too pleasing to the eyes( again could be improved)

2.Layout

What I have observed is that the layout is not in a flow.There is lot of blank space on top after the logo, where you could place a banner or header to suit the layout or you could just add a tagline there.

3.Content

The content of the site seems to be arranged very close and feels thick. leaving more spaces between elements of content would give more visual breathing space in the overall layout.

4.Total appeal

The appeal of the site is average as of the present design and layout.There is a lot of scope in improving the website.I would suggest that you could make these little changes to make the site more visitor friendly and appealing.

9. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys. Since I don't have enough time, I hired some SEO ppl to do this for me. They made a few basic changes to the site to make it look a little better. But mainly they're supposed to be helping me out with SEO. I'm not exactly sure how to check if my site rank has improved any or if the SEO I'm paying for is working or not. I know you guys analyzed my site rank last time. If you guys still remember it, I want to know if it's any better or not. I'm not getting any more customers, so IDK.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An Alien when it comes to SEO one of the most important tags on your site is the title tag. I don't see anything in your title tag that is going to be very helpful in your SEO - in other words I don't see that you have used helpful keyword phrases in your title tag. Is that something you considered?

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I checked out the new design, and also checked out Sustain Creativity, the company that did the design for you. What I found when I checked out the company and their website is probably a subject for another thread. As far as the new design is concerned, it looks a lot better than the old one, although the content hasn't changed much, if at all. As a result, as Fergal pointed out, your title tags are not helping your SEO. The title tag should not only match the content of the page, it should also contain one or more of the keyword phrases related to that page. I also noticed that the "Company Profile" link on most of the pages goes to the "Special Offers" page.
    I noticed you now have 73 links going to your home page, and you are ranked in Google's top twenty for 54 phrases, which is a good start, although most of the rankings are at or near the bottom of page 2. I would keep an eye on these for a month or two, to see if any move up. If not, I'd want to know why.

• Like Like x 1
  12. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright, so that means that they really haven't done much and messed up my site with the company profile link going to special offers. I'll say nothing to them except about correcting the link so to see if they change the title tags themselves or not. If not, then they're not even doing the basic SEO correctly so I'm going to have find someone else.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An Alien if you have contracted a company to do some SEO work for you, you are perfectly entitled to ask them for details on exactly what work they have done and how that work will help your website. I'd suggest that you ask them questions along those lines, if you haven't done so already.

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I found something interesting. You actually have two duplicate webpages, with different URL's. If you follow the link in your original post, the page only has 5 links going to it. However, if you go to www.myairportsedan.com, there are 69 links going to it. For SEO purposes, an exact duplicate page is a very bad idea. I would suggest, therefore, that you decide which URL you want to use, and use a re-direct instead of a duplicate page.
    As far as Sustain Creativity's services, they should have started with a report detailing the phrases they are pursuing for you, and where you are ranked, and for what phrases, when they started. This would be followed up with a status report at least every month, if not more often.

I noticed when I went to Sustain Creativity's website that they give very few details on their site about what they actually do, and no prices for their services at all. Rather than simply asking questions, I would want to see an actual written proposal, or a detailed price list specifying what they do and how much it costs. I would not even call any company that does not provide this.

15. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is some of the stuff they included in their proposal:
    Social Media & Marketing of Website
    1. Add Google Analytics
    2. Add metatags to site, including search engine submission and keywords in coding of site
    3. Create Facebook and manage posts
    4. Create Twitter and manage posts
    5. Incorporate social media to website
    6. Collect emails and send out monthly e-blasts
    I pay them 60/month

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you been looking at that list An Alien and evaluating their performance on each item to the list. Adding Google Analytics is a once off task, if they are charging you on a monthly basis are they giving you monthly updates and recommendations based on the stats being gathered and recorded by Analytics?

17. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I can now see the problem. You hired them to do SEO, and what they are actually doing is Social Media Marketing. They are not doing any SEO work at all, and if you want higher rankings, which is what SEO is for, you are wasting your money.

18. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright, so I need to tell them to do SEO first, and then social marketing?

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd say two things about that; first of all it really depends on your own objectives for your site, i.e. do you want to improve your search engine listings or do you want to improve your site's visibility via social networking? Secondly, the company you are working on should be able to professionally advise you on that, they are already familiar with your site and they obviously should have a very strong knowledge of the results that can be achieved from using the services they provide. If they can't give you a good professional opinion, you might want to ask yourself why.

20. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with Fergal here, they should definitely be able to tell you which would be better for your site and why. Do not let them tell you what they want to do because they are the experts and they know what they are doing. Obviously, this is not the case. You wanted them to help you with SEO, and they gave you a social media program. Personally, I think you are fine with going after higher rankings for your site. Although you can use social media if you wish, SEO would probably bring you more visitors, and therefore more clients.
    Also, in their list of what they were doing for you, the "Marketing" portion of the list consisted of one item - "Add metatags to site, including search engine submission and keywords in coding of site". A properly run SEO campaign is much more involved than that. They should give you a detailed proposal about what their SEO campaigns consist of, and it should definitely cost more than $60 per month. I do realize that there are different price points for different levels of service, but for a detailed SEO campaign, $60 is way too low.
    If you wish, ask the for a detailed SEO proposal, not simply a list,and make it clear to them that SEO is what you want. If and when they send it to you, let me know, and I will PM you with my contact information, so you can send it to me and I will review it for you, to see if it seems reasonable. Then you can decide if you want to continue using them or not.

#20 Joseph.Shivell, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011