Need some feedback please - Possible new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by ynacmd, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ynacmd

ynacmd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

My name is Glenn and I’m an aspiring entrepreneur. I’m currently a certified information security expert working for a large company as their IT security analyst. I've been working for more than a decade various large businesses but I’m concerned about small businesses and their ability to protect themselves from the devastating losses caused by incomplete computer security measures, privacy breeches and loss of proprietary information and intellectual property.
    If you think about how much your business depends on the expert information you create and store on your computer it’s a scary predicament you may find yourself in if that data is compromised.

And a lot of businesses, big and small are playing a game of Russian roulette with their business. Nearly six in ten companies have experienced a security incident in the past year - they just aren’t aware of it.

Large companies can afford to hire specialized staff to address these critical issues. And small companies can't afford to ignore them. I'm interested in starting a business to serve the information and privacy needs of small business so please let me know your comments and thoughts so I can determine if this is a viable idea and if so what products and services I can offer to help with these issues.

Sincerely,

Glenn Wilson, CISSP, CCNP-S, C|EH

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Glenn, thanks for joining.

I actually think that there are lots of opportunities in IT security for businesses that provide services to smaller website and business owners. Serious security breaches are becoming more publicised and the public are aware of them. This has lead to smaller businesses and website owners becoming aware of the potential risks they face and an increased appreciation of the fact that they are unprepared to deal with those risks. A service that could provide them with a convenient way to manage those risks would be appealing to a number of them.

Have you thought out the kind of services that you would provide? Is it a service that you could provide online / remotely (e.g. penetration testing), or would you need to personally visit all your clients.

3. exigio

exigio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Glenn,

I believe there is a lot of potential in the Information Security and IT Security services.
    If you position yourself correctly and you advertise your services to companies that are grown to a specific size you will have a success and you can bring a real benefit to your clients.

I think you will have to focus on clients with at least 30+ employees in various kinds of industries like:
    Accounting, Consulting, Financial Services, Logistics, Investment Banking, Manufacturing, etc...

These are industries where lots of sensitive data can be collected during their operations, so they will want to preserve it and keep it as secure as possible.
    I think that in this business it's all about trust, and if you can inspire trust in your clients, you have already won them over.

• Like Like x 1
  4. EKey.biz

EKey.biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an excellent idea! When you are creating a product that helps other businesses you can be hugely successful. Do not fall into the trap of re-creating your job as your business with twice as many hours but no boss. Do not quit your job, build a company during the nights and weekends that can run without you. You will be in charge of overseeing everything with an emphasis on the marketing. Focus on marketing to companies that are making at least $100,000 per year.

Good luck!

5. ogigz

ogigz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a heap opportunity in the security marketplace, especially amongst small to medium business owners. Personally I would be offering a free report to any business in your area, with a run down of internal and external issues/vulnearabilities, and the severity/impact of each. Most run a single router/firewall which needs several firmware updates, little or no A/V in use, not centralised. All ports outbound open, SBS serve rwith more issues on it than you can poke a stick at etc.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know whether small companies have ever worked out the trade offs in case of the risk of their data security..Do they have enough resources to divert, do they know and feel the importance of Security Experts..

These are few questions which muct be clear before moving ahead!!

7. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, so far you told us that there is a problem with small business information security.

Here are a couple questions I would ask you:

1) Do these small business owners know that there is a real problem that they need to fix or do they just brush it off as being something they don’t really need to worry too much about?

I ask this because I have a sense that most small business owners kind of brush off the topic because they truly understand so little about it. If they don’t think they have a problem that needs to be solved, then you will have an exceptionally difficult time selling them on the idea. You would first have to educate them about the fact that there is a security problem and actually convince them of that. Then you could propose your solution in whatever form that comes in.

2) Are there any companies already operating in this niche? If so, who are they and what types of products do they offer?

By learning more about how other companies are serving this niche, you may spot an opportunity to improve upon what they are doing or even just to position your company in a better way within that space than those other competitors are doing.

3) What specific problems are these businesses going to see when a breach in security has occurred? This might be where you want to focus your efforts. It will be much easier to sell a solution to a specific problem that faces a specific company rather than try to be a generalized security solutions company.

A business owner who is ignorant about IT will not respond well to someone who tries to sell him a solution to a problem he can’t identify with. If however you offer a solution to a problem that he is feeling pain for right now, then you have a real chance to make a sale.

• Like Like x 1