Need Some Career Advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by William King, Dec 31, 2010.

1. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey! I am a 21 years old guy working in the field of internet marketing and SEO and I have my hand sets on them my experience in this field is more than one year and it is still growing besides working I am a student of BS(CS) and studying in 3rd semester so I have my hands set on the programming also. I am learning PHP from the tutorials on youtube and reading ebooks so I can make my self a full package of web development and internet marketing I guess I have some targets but little bit confuse how to achieve them and how should I do time management and most importantly the thing which confuses me is that will I get the good job is their any scope of what I am doing . So I would love to see some professional career advice from professionals.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

William from reading your post it sounds as if you are building a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, that will be very useful to you in your future career. What are you studying in your B Sc?

You ask about employment, would you consider becoming self-employed and working for yourself? The skills you are learning would seem very relevant to that.

3. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am doing BS hons in computer science...

I think every body have the ultimate target to start his own business but I think I am only turning upto 21 right and I need to do jobs in the competitive and profession so I can flourish my self. I am seeking an advice about am I on the right path hat should be my approach and how I should do my time management.

Their is one PM for you fergal

4. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi William, you could consider taking on some smaller SEO clients to start via a place like http://www.elance.com - if you do decide to go it alone :). You're smart to be thinking about time management. There are so many small ongoing tasks for my SEO/Social Media clients that without organization I would be spinning in circles. Recently I've started using http://www.teamworkpm.net/index.cfm for project management for two of my clients and am liking it enough that I plan to upgrade to the paid version so that I can use it for more projects.

Good Luck to you!

5. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there any place where I can get the free projects

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you offer to provide free services you should have no problem getting work. What you could do is contact some local charities and offer to help them free of charge. If you set up a website to offer your services, you could ask anyone you provide free services to, to link back to you. What type of service did you plan on offering, is it related to SEO?

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah like link building, social media marketing and lil bit content writing I am doing all of this stuff with team but I want to judge myself what I am to do alone and weather it will produce results or not

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

William start by promoting your services in our Member Ads and Marketplace section, we have quite a few members here who could potentially be interested in that type of service. Then promote yourself at some of the webmaster and freelance sites listed in our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

Good luck with it and please do keep us updated as to how it is working out for you.

9. kingsoleon

kingsoleon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey William - looks like you've got some good answers in this thread already, but I'll just add in my two cents here for you too - you might want check out some of the info on http://www.careeroverview.com - lots of good articles on how to decide exactly what you want to do and where to go next with your career. Hope that helps mate! :)

10. AvailHosting

AvailHosting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are interested in any web site designing, them you may learn CMS's. It's very easy to learn and design a web site using CMS's like joomla, Drupal, etc. If you are having good knowledge of PHP, then continue it. It is having great career opportunities.

11. macy77

macy77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey William,

It definitley looks like you are on the right track by starting all these tutorials and knowledge for both web development and internet marketing while still young in your career. Both will really work hand in hand when it comes to working at a company. Sticking with you CS degree would be wise as you can learn a WHOLE lot more ranging from coding, web design, web development, to programming. After you're halfway into your degree, you can also start to see where your strengths and interests are and you can focus on what particular CS field you would like to go in depth with.

Here are some good resources to check out on both subjects:
    1. http://blog.mannixmarketing.com/2010/12/a-look-at-2011-and-the-future-of-internet-marketing/ - a good diagnosis on where internet marketing is headed in 2011
    2. http://rinf.com/alt-news/contributions/internet-marketing-7-future-proofing-seo-tips/6226/ - SEO tips and how it's involved with Google hand in hand
    3. http://www.onlinecomputersciencedegree.com/ - alternative to getting your CS degree online to work with busy schedules while still being able to pursue your internet marketing/SEO knowledge on your own time
    4. http://www.cs.washington.edu/WhyCSE - a good article from UW that asks students why they choose CS as their degree

Just continue taking the time to pursue your education while still building your internet marketing/SEO experience through your job and tutorials. Good luck!

12. avemfly Technology

avemfly Technology
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes William king , you are doing a great job .Now, a days Digital marketing has become a mandatory kind of things that every one website owner has to do. SEO plays a bigger role as well, each website wants to on the top of the search engine. Web design seems , everyone wants to have their own platform, so it has a wide range of scope for that we obviously need a developer for programming. These field are interlinked with each other and has a wide scope in future as well as present.

#12 avemfly Technology, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016