Need SEO advice

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by AmitVrma, May 4, 2011.

1. AmitVrma

AmitVrma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello every body.....

I am working on a project LifeInsuranceChandigarh.com. This site already ranked in Google.com but no rank in yahoo & bing. How i will improve rankings in yahoo & bing.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum AmitVrma, your website looks very professional. I see that it is indexed in Yahoo and Bing so that is a step in the right direction. What keywords have you been working on ranking your site for?

Would you consider adding your site to Yahoo Directory? It's quite expensive to add it at about $300 per year. However, it should help your rankings with them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I am located in the United States, and the software I use does not show results for Google India, but I checked the rankings for Google.com, Yahoo!, and Bing. Keeping in mind that Bing now powers Yahoo! Search, I got the following results:

Phrase Volume Google Yahoo!(Bing)

Lic Policy 210 2 5
    Lic Insurance 110 10 9
    Lic Policies 73 4 None
    Lic Life Insurance 73 9 6

The website is ranked in Google's top twenty for 22 phrases. Of the 4 phrases above, only the first two get a substantial number of searchers/month, the other two get less than 75 searchers/month. Of the others, two only get less than 60, and the rest get less than 10. I would do more research to find out if the related phrases typically get 100-200 searchers, or if 50-75 is more common, then go after the phrases that typically get the most searches. Since you are already ranking in all three search engines, do the SEO for the desired phrases without worrying about any particular search engine, and the rankings should come.

4. Nill Smith

Nill Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no personal methods for yahoo, Google or bing... All search engines have their own algorithm to rank website on their search result page....
    So keep going with your best efforts in SEO you'll definitely get result...

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are. Bing's guidelines do differ from those of Google, however they're very similar and if you're going to focus on one the obvious choice is Google. If you're getting down to that level of detail, you really should ensure you have the far more relevant bigger picture stuff absolutely perfect first (very very few sites do, so I'd suggest not to go there in general, it's normally on the wrong side of the point of diminishing returns).

6. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Increase your back link, use bing and yahoo webmaster tools, your site will automatically get rank in bing and yahoo.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I don't think I would say any site would "automatically" get ranked in any search engine. You're right about using the right techniques, but actually getting ranked on the first page, which is where a site needs to be to get the most visitors, takes time.

8. foreverest

foreverest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would you consider adding your site to Yahoo Directory? It's quite expensive to add it at about $300 per year. However, it should help your rankings with them.
    ??
    I add my site free two years age.

9. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that if the site is ranked by Google than eventually it will also get ranked in Yahoo and Bing. Otherwise you can also submit your site in these search engines.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is your site a charity site? My understanding is that Yahoo will only add sites belonging to charities free, all other sites must pay for inclusion.

11. flintheart

flintheart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually if you are working on site then it gets benefit on all search engines. Although algorithms vary for search engines but they get benefit. Yahoo concentrate more on content as compared to Google. So think about it. Also increase your back links and give site some time to get ranked in Yahoo. It will appear with time. Don't worry much and do your part.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing you should do with that website is to restructure the page so that the first link to your homepage doesn't come from that logo image. IF you have more than one link on your page with the same destination URL then you want to make sure the first link uses the right anchor text that you want to rank for. In your case, the first link is from an image that has no anchor text at all. This is a common problem on websites. When you veiw the source code for your page, make sure that the first link pointing back to your homepage uses the right anchor text for the link phrase you want to rank for.

The second thing I would do with your site if you want it to rank better on Yahoo and Bing is to add another additional sitewide link that points back at the homepage.

The third thing I would do is add more text content to the homepage and the other pages.

The fourth thing I would do is add more pages to the site while
    1) making sure every new page gets indexed and stays indexed
    2) making sure every new page has those sitewide links on it that point back at the homepage using the right anchor text

• Like Like x 2
  13. iverson

iverson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

jsingerston's advice is great, thank you so much.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a new one on me. Do you feel that's something that we also need to do here on Business Advice Forum or are we OK in that area?

15. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True.

Not true.

Your logo will be on every page, so regardless of whether you use it as part of your navigation or not you want to ensure it's correctly optimised. Give it a meaningful (but not spammy) file name and alt text normally provides for the most relevant linking rather than sites focusing the links on "Home" anchor text.

16. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The logo is fine, but the alt text is technically a little questionable as the text goes well beyond what's actually included in the image. You should be ok, it's not spammy should it hit a manual review, but it is pushing towards the edges.

What I would suggest you focus on there and which will have a positive impact is sorting out the canonical issues around the homepage. The vast majority of your external links will come to / while all of the internal links are pointing to /index.php. In the eyes of the search engines these are two different pages, so wasting a lot of the link equity available to the site in this manner.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can fix that linking issue with a simple 301 redirect

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks PaulPinnacle and CloptonCapital I'll get that issue sorted soon.

19. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While it's good practise to remove issues like that using 301's, it's far better to remove the route cause (in this case internal links pointing to the non canonical version). In a perfect world, you'd do both. 301 the page for bookmarked users/external links and changing the internal links to stop wastage of link equity via redirects.

20. softwaretraining

softwaretraining
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometime the site is soon indexed by google and for yahoo and bing, it takes time. It depends upon your keywords search vloume and competition only. So dont lose your patience. Dont do anything great. Just do the usual submissions as you are doing now. Thats it. The ranking will come automatically.