Need search within site tool!!!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by scifi, Jul 7, 2009.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! everybody

To make the site of my company more user friendly, I want to install in it a search engine tool or widget that could give search results for the particular keyword inserted by the visitor from my site only.... Plz suggest some good widgets & tools..Also I have a doubt that if these widgets will be efficient in restraining any search result from web & just displays all the search results from my website only....

Also, where I can get a visitors counter for free to install in my site so as to know the visitors count..Also, is it possible that I get a daily statistics of visitors on my site..

2. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, have you considered adding Adsense for Search to the site. This solution can be customised to your requirements and also has the potential to earn the website owner some revenue. The video at that link is short and worth a watch.

I'm not sure what the costs are but you could also consider Google Site Search.

You might consider Google Analytics for the web stats.

That's the end of my free promotion for Google, thankfully junglekid gave you some excellent non-Google suggestions. StatCounter was founded by a young Irish Internet entrepreneur Aodhan Cullen - so I'd be delighted to see you use them.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

..this is the link to the cost of the Google site search ..it beyonds my current budget of website upgradation alloted to me by my company...I hope sometime in future, I will definitely use this ..
    Regarding adsense for site search option, they will also display the results from other websites which I don't want to happen....
    Stat counter is an interesting widget, have you used it Fergal..how was your experience..

Hi! jungle kid...
    thanks for your generous help....
    Can I use the wordpress blog search engine for my site too.??

5. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so, scifi. The WordPress search tool is a PHP script that comes with the theme, it probably only works with WordPress.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Did you watch the video at the link I provided Scifi. According to the video it can be used to search "just your site". It might be worth looking into that.

Click here to see how I've used a Google search box on an old site I own. I haven't updated the site in years but it will allow you to see how it might work for you.

Yes, I've used them and they provide a great service. I'd highly recommend them, you can use them for free unless your sit gets a huge amount of traffic.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well in that case it would not work for me...I will have to look after some other alternatives...
    Hi ! Fergal.. I have an insight into the link you provided,,Thanks for clarifying my doubts,But stil,l do we have to first use Google site search feature to design the search engine & then we can add to our site or it is free currently..???
    I have tried to figure out this , but unfortunately couldn't...

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, try this and let me know if it works for you.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks....Fergal.. I hope this must work for me....!!!!

Cheers:D

10. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use the Google Adwords for Search tool to search your site only. It's free and it works beautifully. If you want it to search the web as well, you'll get paid for clicks on links to other sites.