Need Input for Upgrading Website Design

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by scifi, Jan 3, 2011.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello BAF Memebers!!

Happy New Year!!

I have designed a website with my limited technical web design knowledge. Cement-Solution.com

You can have a look and feedback is more than welcome.

My problem is that I need a kind of website where in the whole structure should looks like any information website and I can update it on regular basis as we do it in blogs.

Is this possible that I can get such type of template over the net or what exactly we call such type of template...DO word press theme template can solve my purpose?

Your suggestions are welcome.:)

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems to me that this is done via HTML or Dreamweaver? Right?
    But I can say that it's good for a basic/static site.

I think you are looking for some content management system that you can use to regularly update your site, right?
    Then Wordpress is the one you need.

3. abi5684

abi5684
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi scifi,

YES, Wordpress CMS will help you a lot in this. The total site will be controllable in using CMS's like wordpress, Joomla, Congrete5 etc...

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

scifi the website is a good start, well done and congratulations with that. The two images that you have either side of the site name in the header, look unprofessional, the site would probably look better without them.

Including your keywords in your internal link anchor text would be helpful for your SEO, e.g. "Contact Cement Pedia" would be more helpful than "Contact Us".

If you are considering using WordPress you can view links to lots of quality blogging themes in the WP Themes section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to all for valuable Feedback!

@GekiDan- Yes, the site is designed using site solution services from Yahoo in html. Yeah, I need some sort of content management system to regularly update my site..Will Try Wordpress.
    @abi5684- My host( Which is again Yahoo) run on Linux based server and supports only either PHP or Html format.
    @ Fergal-Thanks for your wishes. I intended to design a logo for my Website. I have done that too by making the background transparent. But the same is not working on Grey Colour background. That's why they are appearing as Images. Will change the Contact Us as suggested by you. Good idea.:)
    Currently Scanning Themes from Useful Online Business resources....

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What do you hope to achieve by doing that?

The problem with promoting a site that is not ready is that when people first visit it, they form an impression of the site in their minds. If that impression is negative, because the site is not finished, they are unlikely to return to the site, even if they see it advertised in the future.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal here. It's best to put the site first in its top possible shape before launching and just made some minor changes as you go along.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many thanks Fergal and GekiDan for your valuable feedback....

Actually I'm trying to develop a new trend into a business. For that I need to have some sort of feedback and ideas. I'm also planning to change the name of my domain(which I hv already buy) after two months of testing. In the mean time I will keep updating my site with valuable and interesting information. I know the risk is huge and this is the reason I am not very deep at its promotion at this stage. I have not submitted my site to all search engines except Google and indexing on yahoo still awaits.One can say that its kind of restructuring of website on Customer's response.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just changed the theme of the site and have also redirected it from a new domain to increase traffic( Thanks BAF- advice implied from a discussion on a thread with members)..

www.cementspedia.com

Friends your comments are awaited on new theme and how to grow this site into one with more information and professional!!

10. abi5684

abi5684
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi scifi,

Your website looks good. but when I view your website in my laptop, the menus are coming in 2 rows which feels some what difficult to the users. And also you can integrate some rss feed to increase the data values which will automatically gives you more traffic.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

scifi the first thing that I would say your site needs is some branding. A logo and perhaps some additional custom design in the site's header would make it stand out more and give it a stronger identity in the eyes of your visitors. Is that something you plan to do?

• Like Like x 1
  12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that it needs some branding and a new professionally made logo to represent your brand. You might also want to include a favicon for your site.
    But I just noticed that when I visit on your site, before the page loads, there's a "CementPedia" text that shows on the top of the page. Did you put it yourselt?

• Like Like x 2
  13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@abi5684 Many thanks for suggestion. I will work on that and will try to integrate RSS feeds for the same.

@Fergal Thanks Fergal for wonderful insights. Yeah, that is what I intends to do in the long run. As it is not my full time work, I have kept a target of 1 year for this whole activity. Will go on branding strongly then.
    I also need some content for website for news and other section. I am thinking of hiring one person for this specific work. He will prepare a layout of content as per my instructions and then I will post it upon further working on it. What do you suggest?

@GekiDan Thanks for your advice. Yeah I have put that CementPedia text as I am redirecting the CementsPedia.com to Cement-Solution.com and I am also planning to redirect one more domain CementPedia.com to Cement-Solution.com. This is currently under planning.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That sounds like a good idea, how do you plan on finding and hiring the right person for the job?

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I intends to find a person at some Bachelors college wherein he must be in final year and should have good command over English skills and little bit analogical approach.
    I think I will get his skills at value for money besides he will also gain some experience from just being a fresher.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a good plan Scifi, good luck with finding the right person. Had you considered looking for someone using any of the large freelance sites, such as oDesk?

• Like Like x 1
  17. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a good idea. I will try finding the person on such sites too if they fits to my budget I intends to pay to one I am thinking of hiring. I hope they being experienced can provide me with better quality work.

18. timpane

timpane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The two pictures that you have either edge of the location title in the header, gaze unprofessional, the location would likely gaze better without them.

19. saniaseo

saniaseo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Joomla helps you to do the same.

20. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse