Need information how with simple technology make sticky fly paper

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Ahmed_YJJ, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Ahmed_YJJ

Ahmed_YJJ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe little-bit strange and too specific post.

I want to start small manufacturing business. I want to produce sticky fly paper (in roll, not just board).

Fly paper seems to be comparably simple production. As my budget do not allow for now to import expensive automatic machines, I want just self-employment with simple mechanic tools and semi-automatic machines. I can neither afford, neither need those machines which produce 6000 pieces at hour. It will be good to produce 1000-2000 per day in beginning.

Just simple mechanic tools (half mechanic machines) for cutting, adding glue, how to get it rolled and in package. (Please - no jokes about scissors, brush etc)
    Basically - fly paper is invented 160 years ago. How to make it with simple and cheap semi-machines as it was made 60 years ago.

From what kind components to make sticky glue that it does not become dry?

I searched in internet for information but was not successful. I found many places with advices how to make home-made fly paper, but this home-made is of course not packed in roll - just a sticky paper. Also for "glue" they advice to use (for melting with sugar) "Golden syrup" or "Maple syrup" or even honey. These of course is not solutions for commercial production.
    I know that for glue often is used raisins, but surely for beginning I need to use local materials. Raisins is not produced here and because of custom taxes and transportation costs all imports is expensive here. And I can not import one 20ft container of raisins... :)
    But this is sugar producing country so the question is how to make sugar syrup that does not become dry.
    Also I find in internet industry machines but that is not for me at least in start.

So maybe if somebody know where I can look for need information...

#1 Ahmed_YJJ, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ahmed_YJJ it sounds like you need the help of someone with specific technical expertise. Have you considered employing someone with this expertise or perhaps even forming a business partnership with someone that has the skills you need? Another option might be to find a business franchise in your area of interest.

We can give you lots of business advice here on our business forum, however we probably don't have members with the engineering or chemical knowledgeyou need.

3. Ahmed_YJJ

Ahmed_YJJ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am in developing country where there is no flypaper and no knowlegde about it. This is selfemployment project, only if business will develop very good I can hire few workers. For now I am not in that position. So I am searching information in internet how to manufacture with simple machines/tools a flypapers. It should be simple. I hoped that somebody will know some useful site for that or somehow another useful information.

Thanks.

4. arlener

arlener
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Experiment

I think you will have to figure it out by experimenting.
    Consider if you can first find a way to do it, even if that is not practical at first. For example, if raisins work, but you can't get raisins, you should be able to find something else with similar properties. But you will have to determine exactly what it is that keeps the glue from drying.

High Fructose Corn Syrup comes to mind.
    Maybe a chemical of some type. For example, there are additives in house paint to keep them from drying too fast.

Maybe you can locate some very old books from the early 1900's, when people made a lot of things such as house paint themselves. A book of formulas.

Also consider ordinary cooking recipes. Also consider, caramel recipes. If it's not heated to the right temperature it will remain sticky.

I think you have to keep searching for the solution. Since your country doesn't have this product, it would be great if you can provide it and make some money.