Need help!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by markuscastellino, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markuscastellino

markuscastellino
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I started a club for the English fans of an Italian football club in 2001/02. Legal implications forced me to close it down for a couple of years, but we are back now.

I’ve submitted to DMOZ and Yahoo and am averaging 300 hits a day.

The site is poorly coded and in HTML for the limited time I spend updating it.

We appear about ‘6’ for the search term of the club. And the link only says ‘xyz.com’ is there a way to change this?

How am I to improve the page rank? We are at 3, but I am to get upto 5. Other than getting inbound links is there anything else?

I have a tool in firefox that shows me the thumbnail of the old version of the site. How can I update this?

I am hoping to get some help!

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The first thing you should probably do is clean up that HTML code. Having a site that is "poorly coded" can make it more difficult for the search engine spiders to crawl your site. If your looking for some help with HTML W3Schools.com is a good place to start. I can also recommend "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS" by Ian Lloyd if you are looking for a good book on the subject.

Well done on getting a first page ranking for your search term. Sounds like you need to update the meta-description and title tags of your site. These determine how your site is listed in the search engines. For example if you look up Business Advice Forum in Google you will see that our listing looks like;
    "Business Advice Forum, Ask Business Questions on our Business Forum" comes from the text placed in our title tags and "Free business advice & support for your small business, website or home business. Friendly personal success & business forum with free membership & big cash ..." comes from our meta-description tags.

Visit these links to get more info on title tags and meta-description tags.

Personally I'd suggest not worrying too much about your Page Rank. However, if you do want to improve it, keep building those back links and adding quality content to your site. Just don't be spammy or try to trick / cheat the search engines, that could result in your losing your existing PR.

Can you please let us know what tool you are using?

3. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Markus,

I've tried to do a similar type of thing but it is in a bit of limbo at the moment.

We have an Italian translation website that contains 3 major glossaries. There is one for Italian gastronomy, one for Italian property terminology and another for Italian Calcio.

The main reason I created these pages is because Google craves quality content. Once they were set up it was relatively easy to obtain a few high quality links from universities and such like, which gave the related pages a boost in terms of PR juice and SERPs. I also made sure that the juice was fed through to our main commercial pages.

At the moment we are on page 2 of Google for the term 'Calcio' and in position 4 for Google's UK pages. To be honest, I haven't spent a great deal of effort trying to get that many links for this sort after term but maybe that could be something for the future as I could advertise football shirts and tickets for example.

You have to also remember that apart from liking quality, Google also rewards diversity and relevancy. Therefore you need to obtain links from a multitude of valued sites that preferably contain soccer/Italian/sport related content. It is preferable that your anchor text is contextual and that the keyword phase is the same or similar to the term that you want your site to rank for.

Another good idea is to submit Italian football articles to PR, article and news related websites making sure that the content is newsworthy and that they each contain a sprinkling of appropriate keyworded links directed back to your site.

I would be interested to know the URL of your Italian football site. If you would like any more tips then you can PM me and maybe we can help each other out a bit.

Cheers - Mike Dove

#3 Lingua21, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. zackjeffries

zackjeffries
    uix_expand uix_collapse

content is king

Its already a great accomplishment to have a page rank 3 website... The effort you've dedicated is worth it...

If you are aiming for a PR 4, do more Quality Content. Google has updated their system:every single page counts. If your pages has its own ranking different from the homepage, then you'll have a quicker chance to have PR 4. Content is still king.

#4 zackjeffries, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. nokialovers

nokialovers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Along with that if possible site owner should hie official good content writers. Hiring professional content writer is very advantageous, as the professional content writer can develop the best, creative as well as the most unique content for the targeted website, which makes the website more unique as compared to the other websites.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Closing old thread. If the Original Poster would like it re-opened, please send me a quick PM and I'd be delighted to open it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.