Need help with website URL

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Andym, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding a problem with e-commerce URL.

When a user enters a search query on the e-commerce website a custom URL is generated, this URL is been crawled by Google and shows in Google Webmaster tool as 'URL Not Found' or 'Unreachable'.

How can we prevent this URL's generated by search to reflect in webmaster tool as 'Not Found'. I can't keep on removing it every time and forever. I want a permanent solution that can prevent these URL from Google.

Looking forward for your answers!

2. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will only show invalid link, when there is a link to the particular url. In webmaster tool, what is the page link to the particular URL?

If not mistaken, you can use 301 redirect those query URL.

3. lizatailor23

lizatailor23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Actually, I've seen e-commerce websites that generate pages dynamically even when user search doesn't pull anything up. For example, sulit.com.ph has hundreds of pages for potential searches, some of them being empty. The pages are ranking quite well somehow.

4. jerxe

jerxe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the returned url (after search) has a standard form ended let's say with the searched keyword you can use this form on .htacces for rewrite mode.
    Btw, if the number of not found pages is low in your webmaster tools you can ignore them, it's not wise to remove them manually this action can harm your website because you may remove important pages.

5. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't afford to redirect these URL's since they keep on generating from time to time. I want a permanent solution where may be I can block such (Search Created) URL through robot.txt.

I haven't blocked any URL so far. The URL extension for search is this ('www.myblog.com/search?updated-max=2009-08-04T00%3A03%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=5').

Now seeing the URL extension what URL should I command to be blocked in search engine using Robots.txt?